Learn how to draw a great looking Charmander with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Charmander.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Charmander, the Lizard Pokémon, is a Fire-type Pokémon of Generation I. Charmander is one of the three starter Pokémon available in the early Pokémon games, alongside the water Pokémon Squirtle and the dinosaur-like plant Pokémon, Bulbasaur.
Charmander may evolve into Charmeleon at level 16, and Charizard at level 36.
Wild Charmanders Pokémons can be found in hot and mountainous regions. Charmanders exhibit pack behavior, with each individual calling to its neighbors when it finds food.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
A flame constantly burns at the tip of Charmander's tail from the moment of its birth. The quality of this flame can be used to determine Charmander's health and mood.
It is thought that the Charmander can die if its flame goes out, but never fear - rain and water won't put it out; they only make it steam.
Charmander's name is full of meaning. It is a combination of the word "char," meaning burnt, and "salamander," a lizard-like amphibian.
Did you know? Nearly 90 percent of wild Charmanders are males. Yet, this cute little lizard appeals to both male and female fans.
Charmander has been a popular character since the series' inception. In addition to animated television shows and movies, Charmander has been featured on trading cards, clothing, accessories, school supplies, toys, candies, and much more.
Would you like to draw a charming Charmander? This easy, step-by-step Pokémon drawing guide is here to help.
All you will need is a piece of paper, a pencil, and an eraser. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Charmander, I choose you!
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Squirtle, Jigglypuff, and Articuno.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Charmander Pokémon
How to Draw a Great Looking Charmander for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will form Charmander’s head.
Easy Charmander Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend curved lines downward from each side of the circle, giving shape to Charmander’s jaws and neck.
Easy Charmander Drawing - Step 3
3. Enclose Charmander’s body using a long, curved line. Double it back upon itself to form an irregular shape.
Easy Charmander Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw Charmander’s outstretched arms. Begin by outlining each arm using two curved lines. Then, use a series of small “V” shaped lines to connect the lines of the arm, forming the pointed fingers. Don’t forget the “V” shaped thumb on the near arm. Finally, enclose an egg shaped marking on the belly using a long, curved line.
Easy Charmander Drawing - Step 5
5. Use two curved lines to outline the leg, noting how it overlaps the belly. Enclose the foot by drawing curved, triangular shaped claws.
Easy Charmander Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the remaining leg. Use curved lines to outline each side of the leg. Then, connect the lines and enclose the foot using curved, triangular shapes. These form Charmander’s claws.
Easy Charmander Drawing - Step 7
7. Erase guide lines from the head and body.
Add More Details to Your Charmander Picture - Step 8
8. Use three lines to sketch Charmander’s tail, including the stripe on the bottom. Then, use a series of curved lines, connected at jagged points, to enclose the flame at the tip of his tail. Texture the flame using additional curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Charmander Drawing - Step 9
9. Add details to Charmander’s face. Use a wide curved line for his smiling mouth. Draw slightly curved lines to form the bottom of each eye, and enclose a tall, curved shape above it. Draw an oval to form the pupil of each eye. Indicate eyebrows and nostrils using small lines.
Color Your Charmander Drawing
10. Color your Charmander. He is typically orange in color, with a yellow belly and yellow and orange flames.
Are you training to be the next Pokémon master? Learning to draw this and other fantastic Pokémon is a great place to start. Hone your skills with our selection of cartoon character drawing guides, where you'll discover Pikachu, Charizard, and many others. You might even find a few legendary Pokémon!
For more great Pokemon drawing tutorials, see the 18 Easy Pokemon Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Charmander Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).