Learn how to draw a great looking DNA with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful DNA.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
DNA stands for "deoxyribonucleic acid." DNA is a chemical compound found within the nucleus of the cells of all living things.
DNA is responsible for trait inheritance - the color of your eyes, the pattern on a kitten's coat, or the height of a mighty tree.
The shape of DNA is called a double helix. Two DNA molecules are wrapped around one another in a shape resembling a spiral staircase or a twisted ladder.
The sides of the ladder are made up of sugars and phosphate molecules.
The "rungs" of the ladder contain information. The four nucleotides - the "rungs," called adenine, guanine, thymine, and cytosine - form patterns. This can be compared to the pattern of numbers that are used to represent information on a CD or DVD.
Did you know? Each of your cells contains six feet of DNA. That means that all the DNA in your body, if stretched end-to-end, could reach to the sun and back about 600 times.
Scientists have also discovered that humans share about 99.9 percent of DNA. It is just 0.1 percent of our DNA that makes us unique. People are more similar to one another than they are different.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
DNA has also appeared in popular culture. An explanation of DNA was important to the plot of the blockbuster film Jurassic Park (1993).
Drawings of DNA are common in textbooks, in science fiction films or series, and even on clothing and other items.
Would you like to draw a strand of DNA? This easy, step-by-step scientific drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to use crayons, markers, colored pencils, or paints to color your finished model.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Lily, Tulip, and Magnolia Flowers.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing DNA
How to Draw a Great Looking DNA for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a pair of straight lines, placed diagonally and parallel to one another. These guide lines will help you to draw the DNA.
Easy DNA Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw pairs of parallel, curved lines between the two straight lines. These lines should be placed diagonally in relation to the straight lines.
Easy DNA Drawing - Step 3
3. Begin drawing additional pairs of parallel, curved lines on the opposite diagonal from the first. These lines should appear to form an "X" shape with the first lines.
Easy DNA Drawing - Step 4
4. Continue drawing pairs of parallel, curved lines until you reach the bottom of the figure. There, draw an additional set of lines that look as if they will cross each other if they were to continue. Enclose the end of each set with a short line.
Easy DNA Drawing - Step 5
5. Erase the long, straight guide lines from the figure.
Easy DNA Drawing - Step 6
6. Begin drawing pairs of straight, parallel lines within each rounded opening. Enclose them on each end with short lines, and erase guide lines as necessary. Notice that each opening contains three such bars, or nucleotides. This is because each codon, or bit of information, is made of a nucleotide triplet, or three nucleotides.
Easy DNA Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw three nucleotides in the next opening, using three sets of straight, parallel lines. Enclose each set on the ends and erase guide lines as necessary.
Add More Details to Your DNA Picture - Step 8
8. Draw three nucleotides in the next section, erasing guide lines as necessary.
Complete the Outline of Your DNA Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw your final set of nucleotides, completing the DNA strand.
Color Your DNA Drawing
Color your DNA. Bright colors are often used to distinguish the different parts of the structure.
DNA has been called the "building block" or "blueprint" of life. Animals and plants all have DNA. Discover more with our selection of plant and animal drawing guides.
For more great Body drawing tutorials, see the 37 Best Body Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
DNA Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).