Learn how to draw a great looking Magnolia Flower with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Magnolia Flower.
The magnolia is a flowering tree native to North and South America, Asia, and the Himalaya mountains.
The flowers of the magnolia have a strong sweet scent, and many of the 240 species are evergreen - they don't lose their large, flat leaves even in cold weather.
Some magnolia trees grow over 100 feet tall.
In ancient China, magnolia flowers were seen as a symbol of feminine beauty and gentility. In the Victorian floriography - the art of sending secret messages using flowers - the magnolia meant nobility and dignity.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Today, the magnolia blossom retains symbolism in many cultures. In the American south, white magnolia blossoms are used in bridal bouquets to indicate purity.
The fragrant magnolia is the national flower of North Korea, and the flower is used in Chinese medicine.
Modern practitioners of magic use magnolia blossoms in casting spells. In popular culture, it is used to represent a juncture of strength and delicacy, such as in the film Steel Magnolias.
Would you like to draw a spray of magnolia blossoms? This simple, step-by-step drawing guide is here to make doing so easy and fun.
You'll need only a pencil or pen and a sheet of paper. You may wish to use colored pencils or something similar to shade your finished drawing.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing Magnolia Flower
How to Draw a Great Looking Magnolia Flower for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a series of curved lines to form the stem. First, draw a pair of curved lines that are parallel at the bottom, but diverge in a "V" shape as they extend upward. Let one line extend farther than the other. Then, draw a pair of "V" shaped lines parallel to the previous lines.
Easy Magnolia Flower Drawing - Step 2
2. At the tip of one stem, enclose two irregular curved shapes. Notice that one shape is smaller than the other. This forms the base of the flower.
Easy Magnolia Flower Drawing - Step 3
3. On the other stem, draw a large, columnar, irregular shape. Then, use a curved line to enclose a similar shape partially covered by the first. This forms the first petals of the second flower.
Easy Magnolia Flower Drawing - Step 4
4. Using curved lines, enclose a small, pointed petal and another elongate petal on the side of the second flower.
Easy Magnolia Flower Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a pair of curved lines to enclose the large, elongate petal of the first flower, allowing them to meet in a gentle point. Enclose another large petal beside the first, then sketch several smaller petals between and beside the larger petals.
Easy Magnolia Flower Drawing - Step 6
6. Extend another pair of curved, parallel lines from the split in the stem, forming another twig.
Easy Magnolia Flower Drawing - Step 7
7. Using curved lines, enclose a pair of narrow, curved petals at the tip of the new stem. Then, enclose a large petal between the narrow ones. Finally, draw a few smaller petals peeking from behind the larger petal.
Add More Details to Your Magnolia Flower Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a number of leaves emerging from the stem. For each leaf, begin with a single curved line. This forms the central leaf vein. Then, enclose the leaf around the vein, using two curved lines that meet in a gentle point.
Complete the Outline of Your Magnolia Flower Drawing - Step 9
9. Add detail and texture to your flowers. Extend diagonal, straight lines outward from each leaf vein. Draw pairs of short, curved lines along the stem in various places. Extend curved lines of different lengths along the length of each flower, beginning at the base of each petal.
Color Your Magnolia Flower Drawing
10. Color your magnolia blossoms. Southern magnolias have dark green, shiny leaves and white or cream colored flowers. Pink flowered varieties are also common.
Would you like to draw an entire bouquet of beautiful spring flowers? Well, don't stop now! Check out our other plant drawing guides for more floral inspiration.
For more great Flower drawing tutorials, see the 29 Cute Flower Drawing Designs post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Magnolia Flower Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).