Learn how to draw a great looking Dogwood Flowers with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Dogwood Flowers.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Have you ever sent someone a secret message? Perhaps you drew a picture or invented a secret code. Did you know that flowers were once commonly used to send secret messages?
Using flowers as messengers may date back to ancient Persia, but the practice was refined to an art in Victorian England.
At that time, strict manners were observed which often restricted the expression of certain feelings, such as romance or dislike. Rather than words, then, flowers were used.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The dogwood is a flowering tree native to Europe and North America. What message did this flower send?
A man would give a dogwood flower to a woman for whom he had affection. If she kept the flower, it meant that she liked him, too, but if she sent it back - well, that's why the dogwood also symbolized unrequited love or regret of something beyond one's control.
The wood of the tree also meant strength, resilience, reliability, and durability.
Today, the Christian symbolism of rebirth has been assigned to the dogwood, and it is often used in floral arrangements celebrating the birth of a baby. Pink and red varieties mean love and passion.
Would you like to send a dogwood message? All you will need is a pencil or pen and a sheet of paper.
You may also wish to use colored pencils or something similar to shade your finished flowers.
For more easy and fun guides, see the How to Draw a Flower Bouquet or Mother's Day Flower Drawing tutorials.
See also, How to Draw a Lily.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing Dogwood Flowers
How to Draw a Great Looking Dogwood Flowers for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by making a circular shape using small, connected, "U" shaped lines. This will form the center of the flower.
Easy Dogwood Flowers Drawing - Step 2
2. Around the center, sketch the flower's four petals. Notice that the petals are rounded, like irregular circles, but with a "C" shaped notch in the middle.
Easy Dogwood Flowers Drawing - Step 3
3. Emerging from behind one of the petals, draw a semi-circle, again using small, connected, "U" shaped lines. This will form the center of the second flower.
Easy Dogwood Flowers Drawing - Step 4
4. Using curved lines, sketch the four petals belonging to the second flower. Again, note the "C" shaped notch in each of the rounded petals.
Easy Dogwood Flowers Drawing - Step 5
5. A short distance from the first two blooms, draw another circular shape made from small "U" shaped lines. This will form the center of the third flower.
Easy Dogwood Flowers Drawing - Step 6
6. Using curved lines, sketch the four rounded petals of this third and final flower. Don't forget the "C" shaped notches.
Easy Dogwood Flowers Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a forked stem between the two sets of flowers using sets of parallel lines. Extend another set of stem lines past the flowers, and enclose the end of the stem using a small oval. Then, sketch the crinkled leaves of the dogwood tree. Use two wavy lines for each leaf, allowing the lines to meet in a sharp point.
Add More Details to Your Dogwood Flowers Picture - Step 8
8. Detail the centers of the flowers by drawing a smaller circle made of connected "U" shaped lines within each. Draw a curved line down the length of each leaf to indicate the vein. Fill in any bare spots with additional leaves.
Complete the Outline of Your Dogwood Flowers Drawing - Step 9
9. Add the finishing touches to your dogwood flowers. Texture the petals using curved lines, extended outward from the center of the flower.
Color Your Dogwood Flowers Drawing
10. Color your dogwood flowers. Some dogwood blooms are solid white, others solid pink, and some a combination of both colors. Why not try shading your flowers like the ones in our example, pink on the tips and fading to white at the center? Colored pencils can make this shading easy and fun.
Would you like to send other secret flower messages? Check out our plant drawing guides to brush up on your skills, and learn the meanings of various flowers from resources such as the Old Farmer's Almanac.
For more great Flower drawing tutorials, see the 29 Step-by-Step Flower Drawing Guides post.
For more easy flower drawing tutorials, see the collection of Cute Plant Drawings for Beginners.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Dogwood Flowers Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).