Learn how to draw a great looking Hot Cross Buns with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Hot Cross Buns drawing.
"Hot cross buns! Hot cross buns! One a penny, two a penny, hot cross buns!" - "Hot Cross Buns," English nursery rhyme
In fact, the above song was originally a street cry used to advertise the sale of the buns. You can cook up your own batch when you learn how to draw hot cross buns.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The pastries are made with fruit and marked with a cross pattern on the top. According to some, the cross represents the death of Jesus, and the spices indicate those used to prepare his body for burial.
Did you know? The custom of eating hot cross buns actually predates Jesus. According to The Encyclopedia Britannica, the ancient Greeks and Romans sold bread marked with a cross at their temples.
Similar customs existed in the Americas. Ancient Germanic peoples ate cross-bread in honor of Easter, a goddess of light. "The custom, in fact, was practically universal, and the early Church adroitly adopted the practice, grafting it on to the Eucharist and so giving us the hot crossbun.”
Are you hungry for some hot cross buns? You can learn to draw them today.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Hot Cross Buns
How to Draw a Great Looking Hot Cross Buns for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a long curved line. It should circle around and nearly enclose an irregular rounded shape. This outlines the first of the buns.
Easy Hot Cross Buns Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw an inverted "U" shaped line across the bun. Then, use wavy curved lines to enclose the four arms of the "X" or cross shape.
Easy Hot Cross Buns Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a curved line between two arms of the "X," enclosing the fourth quadrant of the bun. Then, draw several irregular shapes to add texture to the surface of the pastry.
Easy Hot Cross Buns Drawing - Step 4
4. Use curved lines to draw the incomplete round shape of the second hot cross bun.
Easy Hot Cross Buns Drawing - Step 5
5. Use curved and wavy lines to complete the "X" or cross shape on the top of the second bun.
Easy Hot Cross Buns Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the fourth quadrant of the second bun using a curved line. Then, texture the surface with several small irregular shapes.
Easy Hot Cross Buns Drawing - Step 7
7. Outline the third hot cross bun, then use wavy lines to complete the "X" or cross shape on the top.
Add More Details to Your Hot Cross Buns Picture - Step 8
8. Complete the third bun with a curved line, and texture its surface with a few irregular shapes. Then, use curved lines to sketch the sides of the fourth and final hot cross bun.
Complete the Outline of Your Hot Cross Buns Drawing - Step 9
9. Use curved lines to draw the "X" or cross shape on the top of the fourth bun. Complete the fourth section with a curved line, and texture the bun with small shapes.
Color Your Hot Cross Buns Drawing
Color your cartoon hot cross buns. They are usually brown in color, with a lighter color for the cross.
For more great Food drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy to Draw Food Drawing Tutorials post.
Hot Cross Buns Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).