Learn how to draw a great looking Pretzel with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Pretzel drawing.
If you're hungry to draw yourself a snack, check out this easy pretzel drawing guide. This iconic knot-shaped pastry is a staple at fairs, shopping mall food courts, and concession stands at football games and other sporting events.
He called them pretiolas - from which the word "pretzel" may be derived. The term meant "little rewards," and he gave them to good children.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
By the 1100s, illustrations of pretzels appeared in the crest of a baker's guild and in books.
They were considered "a sign of good luck and spiritual wholeness," and were often enjoyed on holidays such as Christmas and New Year's.
Some religious leaders used the three sections to represent the doctrine of the trinity.
Another interesting tradition arose in Switzerland. The pretzel was considered a "marriage knot," and a couple would pull on the two sides, much like a wishbone.
The larger half was said to bring prosperity to the marriage.
Whatever the reason for enjoying this historical snack, you can put this cartoon pretzel drawing tutorial to good use. You'll need only a pen, pencil, marker, or crayon and a sheet of paper.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Pretzel
How to Draw a Great Looking Pretzel for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a large, narrow "U" shaped line. This forms one end of the twisted pretzel dough.
Easy Pretzel Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a long curved line and double it back upon itself to form the other end of the dough. It should enclose the lines of the first end.
Easy Pretzel Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a wide "U" shaped line from the first end of the dough to the second section, enclosing the open end of the second section in the process. This outlines the inner edge of the bow or shoulder of the pretzel.
Easy Pretzel Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a curved line between the ends of the pretzel, outlining the inner side of the bottom of the pretzel.
Easy Pretzel Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a large "U" shaped line, connected on one side to the end of the pretzel. This outlines the inner side of the remaining "shoulder" of the pretzel.
Easy Pretzel Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a long curved line, beginning above one end of the pretzel, crossing over the incomplete line of the shoulder, and wrapping around to the bottom of the pretzel, running roughly parallel to its shape. This outlines the outer edge of the pretzel.
Easy Pretzel Drawing - Step 7
7. Continue the long curved line around the pretzel until it meets the top of the pastry. This completes the outline of the pretzel.
Add More Details to Your Pretzel Picture - Step 8
8. Texture the pretzel with a long wavy line along the bottom. Then, draw small teardrop shapes on the surface of the pretzel. This could be salt crystals, sesame seeds, or sprinkles, according to your favorite flavor!
Complete the Outline of Your Pretzel Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw more small teardrop shapes all over the top of the pretzel.
Color Your Pretzel Drawing
Color your cartoon pretzel. The special way that pretzels are prepared gives them a rich dark brown color. However, they may be dipped in sauces such as mustard or cheese or covered in sweet icing!
For more great Food drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy Food Drawing Tutorials post.
Pretzel Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).