Learn how to draw a great looking Olaf with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Olaf.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
In 2013, Disney's animated film Frozen took the world by storm. This film, which follows the journey of two sisters and their helpful friends, has captured the hearts of millions.
In addition to the film, characters from Frozen can be found in books, toys, clothing, school supplies, and even stage performances.
One of Frozen's most beloved characters is Olaf the snowman, who dreamed of experiencing the heat of summer.
He bears the tree branch arms, coal or stone buttons, and a carrot nose that are quintessential features of snowmen.
He even features three stacked orbs of snow, the common configuration of the snowman in North America. What is the history of this amiable snow sculpture?
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Snowmen are built by children and adults around the world whenever sufficient snow falls, and this has been the case for a very long time. The earliest documentation of a snowman dates to 1380.
This early snowman can be seen as an illustration called an "illuminated manuscript" in the margin of a book entitled Book of Hours, providing evidence that the pastime was common by at least the medieval period.
Would you like to draw a snowman? Don't let your skills melt away. This simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to help.
All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Elsa from Frozen, Winnie the Pooh, and Winter Scene.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Olaf from Frozen
How to Draw a Great Looking Olaf for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will help you to form Olaf's head.
Easy Olaf Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw an oval overlapping the circle. This outlines the shape of Olaf's mouth and jaws.
Easy Olaf Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a curved line along the tops of the oval and circle, connecting them. This adds detail to the outline of Olaf's head.
Easy Olaf Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a long, curved line to outline an irregular shape beneath the head. This forms the bottom of the jaws and the neck.
Easy Olaf Drawing - Step 5
5. Erase guide lines from the head. Notice how part of the oval is left to remain within the outline. This will help detail the shape of the mouth.
Easy Olaf Drawing - Step 6
6. Enclose a rounded, nearly circular shape beneath the neck. Then, enclose a larger rounded shape beneath the first. These shapes form Olaf's body. Then, beneath the body, enclose two more rounded shapes, side by side. These will become Olaf's feet.
Easy Olaf Drawing - Step 7
7. Enclose three irregular shapes along the front of Olaf's body. These are his buttons, made from lumps of coal. Give them dimension using curved lines. Next, draw the arms. For each, use long, curved lines to outline the arms. Then, use sets of smaller lines to enclose the fingers. Erase guide lines as necessary.
Add More Details to Your Olaf Picture - Step 8
8. Detail Olaf's face. Enclose the irregular shape of his carrot nose, and band it with curved lines. Above the carrot, enclose two circles to form the eyes. Within each circle, Draw another circle within a circle to form the pupils. Draw a curved line across the face to form the top of the jaw, and use curved lines above each eye to indicate the eyebrows.
Complete the Outline of Your Olaf Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw several curved lines emerging from the top of Olaf's head. Then, draw smaller lines extending from the first. These form his hair, which resembles grass. Use a long, curved line to form his smiling mouth, with a shorter line adorning the corner. Use an additional curved line to enclose his rounded, rectangular tooth.
Color Your Olaf Drawing
10. Color Olaf. He is typically white with grey buttons, brown arms, and an orange nose.
Place Olaf in a winter scene, or check out our other cartoon characters drawing guides.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Olaf Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).