Learn how to draw a great looking Scales with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Scales.
If you like drawing animals, you will become familiar with lots of animal textures - fur, feathers, and scales. This easy, step-by-step scales drawing guide focuses on one of these.
Scales are tiny plates or shields on the skin of some animals. Some are rounded like the ones in this guide, but others are geometrical and pointed.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Then, take a deep dive and sketch the overlapping scales of this koi fish drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Scales
How to Draw a Great Looking Scales for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the scales outline by drawing straight, diagonal guidelines. The lines should be parallel to one another.
Easy Scales Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, draw straight, parallel lines that follow the opposite diagonal. Combined with the previous lines, they should form perfect squares, meeting at perpendicular right angles. This checkerboard pattern will help you draw the scales.
Easy Scales Drawing - Step 3
3. Using the checkerboard as a guide, begin drawing the "U" shaped overlapping scales. The bottom of each "U" should be located at a point of a square.
Easy Scales Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a third row of scales, again using the points of the squares to keep the scales in line and pointed in the same direction. Erase the guidelines from the existing scales.
Easy Scales Drawing - Step 5
5. Begin the fourth row of "U" shaped scales. Erase the guidelines from the existing scales.
Easy Scales Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the final "U" shaped scale on the fourth row, and then begin the scales of the fifth row. Erase the guidelines from the existing scales.
Easy Scales Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw another scale on the fifth row, then begin drawing the "U" shaped scales of the sixth row. As you can see, you can continue the pattern in almost any order, so long as the new "U" shaped scale can connect to the "U" shaped scales above it.
This helps convey the idea that the scales are overlapping. Erase the guidelines from the existing scales.
Add More Details to Your Scales Picture - Step 8
8. Continue to draw the scales of the sixth row. Then, draw the first "U" shaped scale of the seventh row. Erase the guidelines from the existing scales.
Complete the Outline of Your Scales Drawing - Step 9
9. Finish drawing "U" shaped scales over the square guidelines. Then erase any remaining guidelines to finish your drawing.
Color Your Scales Drawing
Your scales outline is now complete. You can color the scales to match the overall color of whatever scaly beast - reptile, fish, dragon, or dinosaur - that you are drawing.
For more great bird drawing tutorials, see the collection of How to Draw Birds for Kids.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Scales Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).