Learn how to draw a great looking Heron with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Heron.
Would you like to learn how to draw a heron? This easy, step-by-step bird drawing tutorial can show you how.
Herons are tall, slender birds with long legs, necks, and beaks. You can see these features in our illustration.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
If you enjoyed this drawing tutorial, you can set the scene with this swamp drawing. In the picture, you'll find one of the heron's favorite foods - frogs!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Heron
How to Draw a Great Looking Heron for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the heron outline by drawing the bird's head. Use curved lines to sketch the head, eye, and extra-long beak. Shade a small circle inside the eye to indicate the pupil.
Easy Heron Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the long, snake-like neck using a series of curved lines that meet at jagged points. The overall shape of the neck should be the letter "S," with the points giving it a feathered texture. Then, draw a curved line to indicate the top of the wing.
Easy Heron Drawing - Step 3
3. Use long and short lines that overlap and meet at points to sketch the teardrop-shaped wing.
Easy Heron Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a series of curved lines that meet at jagged points to draw the bird's chest and the upper part of the leg. Then, extend a long curved line to begin the featherless portion of the leg. Notice the bends of the "elbow" and ankle.
Easy Heron Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw another long, curved line roughly parallel to the previous line. Then, use overlapping "U" shaped lines to draw the bird's toes. Enclose a curved, teardrop-shaped claw at the tip of each toe.
Easy Heron Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the remaining leg. Use jagged lines to draw the upper portion of the leg, and parallel lines for the lower portion. Then, finish enclosing the bird's body, using a series of jagged lines to form the tail.
Easy Heron Drawing - Step 7
7. Use jagged lines to texture the feather's on the heron's head, wing, and stomach.
Add More Details to Your Heron Picture - Step 8
8. Texture the wing with more feathers, and draw short lines along the fronts of the legs. Then, draw a straight, horizontal line passing behind the legs. This is the horizon line. Use curved lines to draw a ripple in the water around the heron's legs.
Complete the Outline of Your Heron Drawing - Step 9
9. Use connected curved lines to draw cloudlike shrubbery in the background. Use additional curved lines to draw waves in the water.
Color Your Heron Drawing
Your cartoon heron outline is now complete. Herons come in many colors, ranging from brown to green to white.
In North America, the great blue heron is the largest and most beautiful of these birds. In Where the Crawdads Sing, Delia Owens describes the color of the great blue heron in this way:
"A great blue heron is the color of gray mist reflecting in blue water. And like mist, she can fade into the backdrop, all of her disappearing except the concentric circles of her lock-and-load eyes."
For more great bird drawing tutorials, see the collection of Cute Bird Drawing Ideas..
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Heron Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).