Learn how to draw a great looking Magpie with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Magpie.
Do you want to draw your favorite birds? Get started with this easy, step-by-step magpie drawing.
Magpies are smart, noisy songbirds. There are several different species native to Africa, Asia, Europe, and North America.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Magpies are a member of the crow family. You can also learn how to draw a raven, another member of the crow family. Can you see the similarities in beak and body shape?
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Magpie
How to Draw a Great Looking Magpie for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the cartoon magpie outline by drawing the bird's head. Use a long curved line for the top of the beak and head. Connect two more curved lines at a point to finish the beak. Then, draw an oval within a circle and shade between them to form the eye.
Easy Magpie Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the feathers along the beak and front of the neck. Use a series of curved lines that are connected at jagged points.
Easy Magpie Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a long curved line for the bird's back and a series of overlapping lines for the top of the wing. Below the top of the wing, extend pairs of lines that meet at points, forming flight feathers.
Easy Magpie Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw longer flight feathers below the first, extending pairs of long lines that meet at points. Draw a series of connected curved lines at the top of the wing, contouring it.
Easy Magpie Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a few curved lines to finish the wing. Then, begin drawing the belly and the top of the leg. Use a series of curved lines that meet at jagged points for a feathery texture.
Easy Magpie Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the bird's leg. Use parallel lines and overlapping curved lines to draw the leg, its three toes, and the curved triangular claws at the end of each toe.
Easy Magpie Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the final toe and claws. Then, use jagged lines to sketch the top of the remaining leg and the base of the tail.
Add More Details to Your Magpie Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the remaining leg, using curved lines and crooked triangles. Then, begin sketching the long tail feathers. Use two long curved lines that meet at a point.
Complete the Outline of Your Magpie Drawing - Step 9
9. Finish drawing the tail feathers using curved lines that meet at points. Texture around the eye, on the belly, and on the legs with short curved lines.
Color Your Magpie Drawing
Your cartoon magpie outline is now complete. Color your bird. We've shaded ours like the black-billed magpie - bluish-black feathers, a black beak, and white on the belly and wing.
The yellow-billed magpie looks similar, except that it has a yellow beak and a greenish tint to its black feathers. The green magpie from Asia has a green body, brown wings, an orange beak, and a black mask over its eye.
What do the magpies look like where you live?
For more great bird drawing tutorials, see the collection of Easy Bird Drawing Guides.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Magpie Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).