Learn how to draw a great looking Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art.
Sonic the Hedgehog made his video game debut in 1990. Compared to the sleek lines used in animation today, Sonic's original look was blocky and pixelated. You can learn how to draw Sonic the Hedgehog pixel art.
Pixels are tiny squares or circles of color that make up pictures. Our eyes combine the individual shapes to create a composite image. In low-resolution images of video game characters like Sonic the Hedgehog, these shapes are clearly visible.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
You will notice that our pixel art characters are drawn using a grid. If you're drawing by hand, you can use grid paper or sketch perpendicular lines using a ruler. There are also a number of free online apps that allow you to create digital pixel art by clicking squares on a grid.
Sonic is fast, and you can be too. With the help of this pixel art drawing tutorial, you'll be able to create your favorite video game character in no time. As Sonic says, "Don't just sit there and waste your precious time." Learn to draw today!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art
How to Draw a Great Looking Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Outline and shade the top of Sonic's head. For the front, you'll shade three blocks, two blocks, and one block connected at the corner, then six horizontal blocks. Skip a block then shade three horizontal blocks, a "Z" shape of four blocks, and four individual, diagonal blocks.
Easy Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art Drawing - Step 2
2. Trace and shade the pixels forming the bottom of the head. Use three diagonal pixels, a long series of seven, six, and one pixel, and an "L" shape of seven pixels.
Easy Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art Drawing - Step 3
3. Next, use sets of three blocks, two blocks, and one block to add details to Sonic's face. Then, begin sketching the body. You will use a vertical series of five and two blocks.
Easy Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art Drawing - Step 4
4. Next, outline and shade the shape of Sonic's foot. The top of the foot consists of horizontal segments of three and two blocks. Then, outline the bottom and back of the foot. This will involve two vertical blocks, nine horizontal blocks, and five and two-block vertical segments.
Easy Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the back of the body and the remaining foot. Notice how some of the segments appear to overlap - those overlapping sections are actually left unshaded, creating a gap between the surrounding lines.
Easy Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art Drawing - Step 6
6. Shade the blocks that outline Sonic's arms. Notice the "Z" shaped segment of one arm and the diagonal nature of the other.
Easy Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art Drawing - Step 7
7. Complete the outstretched arm with a series of segments - three blocks, five blocks, and one block - connected at the corners.
Next, you'll begin drawing with a different type of line. Rather than shading blocks to create thick outlines, you will trace only the edges of the blocks. These thin lines indicate variations in the color of the character. Try your hand at outlining the area around the mouth. Note how it dips by one block beneath the eye.
Add More Details to Your Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art Picture - Step 8
8. Continue to use thin lines to add detail to the character's face. Use an "L" shaped line and a series of straight lines to trace the ears. Then outline the whites of the eyes.
Complete the Outline of Your Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art Drawing - Step 9
9. Add thin lines to detail the body. Draw a short line the width of one block at the base of each hand to distinguish Sonic's gloves. Draw a similar line across the top of each shoe, and stripe the shoes with "L" and "Z" shaped lines. Finally, outline Sonic's lighter belly and draw a short line across the shoulder.
Color Your Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art Drawing
Color your pixel art cartoon of Sonic the Hedgehog. He is blue in color with yellow or orange ears, snout, belly, and arms, white gloves, and red shoes with white stripes.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Sonic the Hedgehog Pixel Art Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).