Learn how to draw a great looking Space Needle with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Space Needle.
Since the 1800s, the World's Fair has been held every few years in countries around the world. Each of these fairs lasts for about six months and exhibits the latest industrial, cultural, and scientific developments.
Often, special buildings are built for the World's Fair. The Seatle Space Needle is one of them. This observation tower was built for the 1962 World's Fair.
Once the tallest building on America's west coast, the Needle is 605 feet (184 meters) tall. At its top, it houses a rotating restaurant called SkyCity.
During the World's Fair, 20,000 people toured the tower each day. Today, over a million people visit the Space Needle's observation deck every year.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The Seatle Space Needle has become a symbol of the Pacific Northwest. It has featured in movies such as It Happened at the World's Fair (1962) and Sleepless in Seattle (1993).
It also inspired a children's book called Wheedle on the Needle, in which a furry creature named Wheedle is responsible for the tower's blinking light. Wheedle later became the mascot for Seatle's basketball team.
Would you like to draw the Seattle Space Needle? This easy, step-by-step architectural drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing the Space Needle
How to Draw a Great Looking Space Needle for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing two vertical lines. The lines should curve, being closest to one another in the middle and diverging at the top and bottom. Connect the lines at the bottom using a short curved line. This outlines the first support of the Space Needle.
Easy Space Needle Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a curved “V” shaped line at the top of the support, connected to each of the previous lines
Easy Space Needle Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a long curved line beside the support. Then, connect it to the first support using two curved lines. It should appear that this support is leaning against the first.
Easy Space Needle Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the Needle’s lower platform, erasing guide lines as necessary. First, extend a narrow rectangle from the first support. Above it, draw a flattened cube, and connect the two using short lines.
Easy Space Needle Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a pair of lines between the first two supports. Then, draw the third support as visible between them, using a long curved line.
Easy Space Needle Drawing - Step 6
6. Use curved lines to enclose the exterior of the third support. Then draw the other side of the platform, using a narrow rectangle and a flattened cube.
Easy Space Needle Drawing - Step 7
7. Detail the first support. Draw narrow shapes with rounded ends.
Add More Details to Your Space Needle Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the Space Needle’s main platform. Draw an oval on top of the supports. Enclose a rounded shape above it, and a larger oval at the very top.
Complete the Outline of Your Space Needle Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the Space Needle. Enclose a rounded shape at the top, and band it with vertical lines. Then, enclose a series of rounded shapes, larger then smaller than the others. Draw a circle on top of the last shape, with a vertical line emerging from it.
Color Your Space Needle Drawing
Color your space needle.
You’ll find plenty of other buildings and vehicles to complete your city among our object drawing guides.
For more great Building drawing tutorials, see the 21 Easy Building Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Space Needle Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).