Learn how to draw a great looking Penguin with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial, plus FREE printable pages. You can now easily create a beautiful Penguin drawing.
In this really easy drawing tutorial you will learn to draw a simple Penguin.
Penguins are birds that use use their wings to swim through the water rather than flying through the air.
Penguins eat fish, which they catch with their beaks while swimming.
Their black and white plumage serves as camouflage and helps keep them safe from predators such as leopard seals and orca whales - from below.
Their white bellies blend in with the bright sunlight, and from above, their dark backs disappear in the murky water below.
Scroll down for a FREE PRINTABLE PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? Penguins don't live at the North Pole. Almost all penguins live in the earth's Southern Hemisphere, below the equator - only the Galapagos penguin lives farther north.
Not all penguins live in the snow, either - there are small penguins, for example, that live on warm beaches in New Zealand, in Africa, and on tropical islands.
Some penguins are so small that you could hold them in your hand, while the emperor penguin of Antarctica stands nearly four feet tall.
How tall are you? Are you taller than this enormous penguin?
Some of the earliest animated penguin characters appeared in the 1964 film Mary Poppins. These movies feature Adélie penguins, emperor penguins, rock hopper penguins, and other species.
Would you like to draw your very own cartoon penguin? Doing so is easier than ever with this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pencil and a piece of paper. You may also want to have an eraser handy to remove guide lines and correct mistakes.
Shade your finished drawing using colored pencils, crayons, markers, or paints.
Are you ready to draw your penguin? Get started, and you are sure to do swimmingly!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Penguin
How to Draw a Great Looking Penguin for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Draw a circle. This will form the penguin's head.
Easy Penguin Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw an oval overlapping the original circle. This will add detail to the shape of the head.
Easy Penguin Drawing - Step 3
3. Erase the guide lines from the head.
Easy Penguin Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw an egg-shaped oval overlapping the bottom of the head. This will form the penguin's body.
Easy Penguin Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend a curved line from each side of the body, just below the head. Angle the line so that it doubles back on itself and encloses a slanted, rounded triangle shape. This outlines the penguin's flippers. Then, draw a short, curved line down the center of each flipper.
Easy Penguin Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase the guide lines from the point where the head and body overlap.
Easy Penguin Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the feet. For each foot, extend two slightly curved, short lines from the bottom of the body. Connect the lines using several short, curved lines to form toes.
Add More Details to Your Penguin Picture - Step 8
8. Add detail to the stomach by enclosing an oval shape using a long, curved line. Draw a small, curved, upside down triangle in the middle of the face. This forms the upper portion of the beak. Enclose a circular shape beneath it using a short, curved line, thus forming the lower portion of the beak. Then, draw two curved lines from the beak to the top of the head.
Complete the Outline of Your Penguin Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a circle on each side of the beak to form the eyes. Within each eye, draw a smaller circle. Shade between the two circles.
Color Your Penguin Drawing
10. Color your penguin. Penguins typically have black feathers on their bodies and wings, with white markings on their faces and stomachs.
For more great Animal drawing tutorials, see the 100 Easy and Fun Animal Drawing Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!