Learn how to draw a great looking Baby Lion with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Baby Lion.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Lions have been featured in artwork since time immemorial. Early examples include lion-goddess statues retrieved from ancient Egypt, and the parading lions of the Ishtar Gate from ancient Babylon. These items are on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, City, USA.
Perhaps the most famous lion cub is Simba from Disney's blockbuster animated film, The Lion King (1994). Subsequent films and television series included other juvenile lions, such as Nala, Kovu and Kiara (The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride, 1998), and Kion (The Lion Guard, 2016).
Did you know? Simba means "lion" in the Swahili language.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
However, there was another famous lion cub before the reign of Simba. In 1965, the anime series Kimba the White Lion was released. This story also follows the antics of an adventurous lion cub.
Would you like to draw your own adorable, fearless lion cub? Now you can, with the help of this easy, step-by-step animal drawing tutorial. All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser. You may also wish to color your finished character.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Arctic Fox, Red Panda, and Lion.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Baby Lion
How to Draw a Great Looking Baby Lion for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the lion's head. Use a series of curved lines. Note the bulges of the cheek and chin. When you reach the ear, notice the overlap of short lines with jagged points, indicating fur. Use a curved line to enclose the opposite ear.
Easy Baby Lion Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a series of overlapping, curved lines to outline the lion's chest.
Easy Baby Lion Drawing - Step 3
3. Sketch the leg using a pair of curved lines. Enclose the bottom of the leg with a series of overlapping ovals, forming the toes of the paw.
Easy Baby Lion Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the remaining front leg. Use curved lines to sketch the bent knee. Enclose the bottom of the leg with a series of overlapping "U" shaped lines, forming the toes of the paw. Then, draw a curved line across the top of the paw.
Easy Baby Lion Drawing - Step 5
5. Sketch the back and rear of the animal using a series of curved lines. Then, use a pair of curved lines to draw the rear leg. Enclose the leg with overlapping "U" shaped lines, forming the toes. Band each toe with a curved line.
Easy Baby Lion Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the remaining rear leg behind the front legs. Use a curved line for the front of the leg, and overlapping ovals for the toes.
Easy Baby Lion Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the lion's tail. Use a pair of curved lines, and allow them to meet at a gentle point. Then, extend a pair of curved lines from the tip of the tail, allowing them to diverge. Connect them with short lines of different lengths that meet at jagged points. This forms the tail's furry tuft.
Add More Details to Your Baby Lion Picture - Step 8
8. Begin to detail the cub's face. For each eye, craft a half-oval shape using two curved lines. Draw a curved, upside-down triangle for the nose, and extend short lines above it. Enclose a jagged, furry shape within each ear.
Complete the Outline of Your Baby Lion Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the lion's face. Enclose a curved, pointed shape above each eye to indicate the eyebrows. Enclose three irregular, rounded shapes beneath the nose, forming the mouth. Draw dots in the upper shapes. For each eye, enclose a large circle with smaller, overlapping circles within its bounds.
Color Your Baby Lion Drawing
Color your lion cub. Most are depicted in a sandy yellow color, as in our example. Real lions may also be brown, pure white, or have black or reddish markings.
Take pride in your pride! Head over to our animal drawing guides, where you'll find lions and tigers and bears. Oh my!
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Easy and Fun Things to draw Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Baby Lion Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).