Learn how to draw a great looking Blue Whale with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Blue Whale.
Blue whales are the largest animals on Earth, but drawing one is not a huge undertaking. In fact, it's easy with the help of this step-by-step blue whale drawing guide.
You will create your blue whale using a series of curved lines. Sometimes the lines will take on familiar shapes - for instance, the circle of the eye, the triangular dorsal fin, and the teardrop-shaped tail fins.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? To understand just how large the blue whale is, you can compare them to other animals. For example, one blue whale is about the same size as:
- 40 African elephants, or
- 30 T-Rex dinosaurs
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Blue Whale
How to Draw a Great Looking Blue Whale for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the blue whale outline with a long curved line. This trace's the animal's head and back.
Easy Blue Whale Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw another long curved line and double it back upon itself. This form's the whale's mouth and belly.
Easy Blue Whale Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a small circle within a circle beside the mouth. This is the whale's eye. Shade the smaller circle to indicate the pupil. Draw a small curved line over the eye, and another on the side of the body. This will become the base of the pectoral fin.
Easy Blue Whale Drawing - Step 4
4. Extend a long curved line and double it back on itself to form the pectoral fin. Contour its base with a short curved line.
Easy Blue Whale Drawing - Step 5
5. From the fin, extend a long curved line to complete the whale's belly. On its back, use a curved line to enclose a small triangle shape. This is the dorsal fin.
Easy Blue Whale Drawing - Step 6
6. Begin drawing the caudal fins of the whale's tail. From the base of the tail, extend a long curved line and double it back on itself to form a partial teardrop shape.
Easy Blue Whale Drawing - Step 7
7. Finish the whale's tail, using another curved line to draw another partial teardrop shape.
Add More Details to Your Blue Whale Picture - Step 8
8. Extend a long curved line from the belly and double it back on itself to enclose the curved triangular pectoral fin. Then, rib the whale's belly with long curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Blue Whale Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw more long curved lines along the whale's belly and throat.
Color Your Blue Whale Drawing
Your blue whale outline is now complete. Color your animal creation.
Are blue whales really blue? Their skin is actually gray, but underwater, they can appear blue.
For more great sealife drawing tutorials, see the collection of Beginner Sealife Drawing Tutorials.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Blue Whale Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).