Learn how to draw a great looking Bulldog with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Bulldog.
The bulldog is a short, stocky dog bred for centuries in Britain. It has a short nose and folds of skin that give it a wrinkled and frowning appearance, earning it the nickname "sourmug."
Originally, the bulldog was a fierce predator used for fighting bulls. When these dogfighting events were banned in 1835, the breed nearly died out.
However, enthusiasts kept it going, selecting for a loveable rather than ferocious personality. Today's bulldogs are gentle pets and guardians.
Bulldogs are a fond mascot of England and the United Kingdom. During World War II, bulldogs represented Winston Churchill's firm stand against the Nazi regime. A bulldog named Venus was the mascot of one British Royal Navy ship, and Handsome Dan represented Yale University.
The bulldog is also the official mascot of the U.S. Marine Corps, and bulldogs live on many marine bases. A number of sporting teams have also adopted a bulldog mascot.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Hector the bulldog is among the most well-known cartoon bulldogs. He is often seen restraining Sylvester the cat so that he won't eat Tweety Bird. Another is Spike, Looney Tunes' tough, scowling grey bulldog in a red sweater and brown hat.
Would you like to draw a tough-looking bulldog? This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing guide is here to help. All you will need is a pen, pencil, or marker and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished dog.
See also, Learning How to Draw a Puppy.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Bulldog
How to Draw a Great Looking Bulldog for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the bulldog's head. Use overlapping curved lines to craft a lumpy, incomplete circle.
Easy Bulldog Drawing - Step 2
2. Use curved lines to draw the rounded, triangular shapes of the inner and outer ear. Then, use curved and "U" shaped lines to complete the irregular circle. Note the large "U" shaped jowl.
Easy Bulldog Drawing - Step 3
3. Use curved lines to craft the somewhat triangular shape of the remaining floppy ear. Then, draw the collar. Begin by drawing small triangles with rounded bases pointing outward from the dog's neck. Then, connect these using curved lines, forming the collar.
Easy Bulldog Drawing - Step 4
4. Use long, curved, overlapping lines to sketch the dog's back and chest.
Easy Bulldog Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the foreleg. Extend a pair of curved lines from within the body, allow them to converge. Use overlapping "U" shaped lines to enclose the paw, indicating the toes.
Easy Bulldog Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the remaining foreleg using a long, curved line. Then, enclose the paw, using a series of overlapping "U" shaped lines to indicate the toes. Draw the rear paw as seen behind the forepaws using overlapping "U" shaped lines.
Easy Bulldog Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the remaining rear paw. Again, use overlapping "U" shaped lines to form the toes and the bottom of the paw.
Add More Details to Your Bulldog Picture - Step 8
8. Detail your bulldog. Both the Bulldog and the Pitbull are very muscular. Draw a curved line across the chest to give him a muscular appearance. Use curved lines to enclose spots on his back and limbs. Draw curved lines across the face to indicate the snout and cheeks. Use "U" shaped lines to craft the nose, and enclose large ovals to form the eyes. Use curved lines to enclose a pointed brow above each eye.
Complete the Outline of Your Bulldog Drawing - Step 9
9. Use long, curved lines to sketch the bulldog's lower lip and open mouth. Then, draw curved triangles to indicate the protruding teeth.
Color Your Bulldog Drawing
Color your bulldog. Bulldogs can be spotted or solid in color, typically in shades of tan, white, grey, or reddish brown. They may also be brindle, a delicate brown and black striping.
Check out our animal drawing guides, where you'll find plenty of other dog cartoons to complete your pack.
For more great Dog drawing tutorials, see the 50 Simple Dog Drawing Ideas post.
For more easy dog drawing tutorials, see the collection of Guides to Learn to Draw Cute Dogs.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Easy Drawing Ideas for Kids: Learn How to Draw Dogs page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Bulldog Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).