Learn how to draw a great looking California Poppy with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect California Poppy.
You can find California poppies along roadsides across North America, and they have been introduced around the world.
You can recognize these flowers by their four large petals, which are cupped when they first open but flatten into a circle as they mature.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Poppies have smaller leaves than many flowers. They are narrow with many small leaflets.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a California Poppy
How to Draw a Great Looking California Poppy for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the California poppy outline by drawing the "Y" shaped stem. Use long curved lines to outline the stem.
Atop one branch of the "Y," begin drawing the petals. Use wavy lines to create a scalloped edge. Double the lines back on themselves on each end.
Easy California Poppy Drawing - Step 2
2. Continue to draw the overlapping petals using wavy lines. Then, draw the flower's center. Use a series of long and short "U" shaped lines that connect on the edges to begin the rounded starburst shape.
Easy California Poppy Drawing - Step 3
3. Finish the center of the flower, continuing to use connected "U" shaped lines to enclose the circular shape.
Then, draw another blossom from a different angle on the opposite side of the "Y." Use a long curved line to enclose the cupped shape of the flower.
Then, use a short curved line to draw a half-circle between the flower and the stem. Use overlapping wavy lines to sketch the tops of the petals.
Easy California Poppy Drawing - Step 4
4. Use overlapping wavy lines to finish the scalloped petals. At the edge of one, draw an "L" shaped line to indicate the curled edge of the petal. Then, use long and short "U" shaped lines to sketch the flower's center.
Easy California Poppy Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw another flower stem, using a pair of curved, parallel lines. On top of the stem, use a long curved line to sketch the outside of the flower.
Draw a narrow semi-circle between the flower and the stem. Sketch the tops of the petals using wavy lines.
Easy California Poppy Drawing - Step 6
6. Use wavy lines to enclose the remaining petals. Then, use a series of "U" shaped lines to draw the flower's center. Next, draw the leaves, erasing as necessary.
Remove a portion of the stem and extend parallel, curved lines from it. Then draw a series of branching, "U" shaped lines.
Easy California Poppy Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw more leaves, extending pairs of lines and allowing "U" shaped leaflets to branch off of them.
Add More Details to Your California Poppy Picture - Step 8
8. Continue drawing the lacey leaves by extending pairs of lines and allowing "U" shaped leaflets to branch off of them.
Complete the Outline of Your California Poppy Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the leaves and centers of the flowers with curved lines.
Color Your California Poppy Drawing
Your California poppies are now complete. Color them. Wild California poppies are yellow or orange in color, with green leaves. Cultivated varieties may by white, red, pink, or purple.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
California Poppy Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).