Learn how to draw a great looking Cartoon Lizard with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Cartoon Lizard.
The cold-blooded antics of reptiles are often a part of cartoons and comics. You can learn how to draw a cartoon lizard with the help of this easy, step-by-step animal drawing tutorial.
The type of lizard featured in this tutorial is called a gecko. He is made up of many curved lines. In each step, look for the highlighted blue lines in the illustration. Copy these new lines into your drawing.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
You will notice that the lizard in this drawing has an odd posture - his feet don't seem to be on the ground. This is because geckos use their sticky feet to climb. They can even stick to smooth glass!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cartoon Lizard
How to Draw a Great Looking Cartoon Lizard for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the cartoon lizard outline by drawing a curved line. This outlines the gecko's face. Draw a short curved line at one end of the original line, indicating the corner of the smiling mouth. Then, use curved lines to enclose a partial oval above the mouth. Draw another oval inside it, completing the eye.
Easy Cartoon Lizard Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw curved lines overlapping the top and bottom of the original line. One forms the gecko's eye ridge, the other his lower jaw.
Easy Cartoon Lizard Drawing - Step 3
3. From the back of the head, extend a long curved line. This traces the lizard's back.
Easy Cartoon Lizard Drawing - Step 4
4. Continue to extend the long line from the previous step. This outlines the gecko's long tail.
Easy Cartoon Lizard Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw another long, curved line roughly parallel to the tail. At the end, double the line back on itself to enclose the blunt tip of the tail.
Easy Cartoon Lizard Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the lizard's feet using curved lines. For each leg, you can use a single curved line that doubles back on itself many times or use separate strokes for the sides of the legs and each toe. Then, connect the legs with a curved line, outlining the belly.
Easy Cartoon Lizard Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw two short lines connecting the front leg to the head, fully enclosing the outline of the lizard. Draw another curved line between the two legs, distinguishing the lighter-colored belly from the rest of the body.
Add More Details to Your Cartoon Lizard Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the remaining foreleg. Use a series of curved lines that overlap at the elbow and double back on themselves to form the toes.
Complete the Outline of Your Cartoon Lizard Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the final leg. Again, use curved lines that overlap and that double back on themselves to form the toes.
Color Your Cartoon Lizard Drawing
Your cartoon lizard outline is now complete. We've shaded ours green like the familiar day gecko. Some day geckos also have yellow or red markings.
For more great safari drawing tutorials, see the collection of Simple How to Draw Safari Ideas.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cartoon Lizard Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).