Learn how to draw a great looking Cave with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Cave.
Would you like to explore a deep, dark cave? Learn how to draw a cave with the help of this cartoon scenery drawing tutorial.
A cave or cavern is defined as "a natural void in the ground." Most caves are made of stone and are large enough for a person to enter.
Caves often harbor fascinating geological structures, including stalactites, stalagmites, and even crystals.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Do animals live in caves? Yes, they do! Bats, bears, and other creatures often use caves as a refuge. Even people have taken shelter in caves. Ancient peoples left various artifacts and cave drawings behind.
There are other animals that spend all their time inside caves. These include insects, arachnids, and small fish.
Many permanent cave dwellers are blind - they do not need eyes as the cave environment has too little light to see. Instead, they use their other senses to move around and find food.
Exploring caves is known as caving or spelunking. Many caves around the world offer tours.
Some are very unique, featuring underground boats, crawling through small spaces, or even dining. Some people even scuba dive in ocean caves.
Don't keep us in the dark! It's time to show off your cave drawing skills.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cave
How to Draw a Great Looking Cave for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the rocky walls at the base of the cave. Use overlapping curved lines to create the irregular shapes of the rocks.
Easy Cave Drawing - Step 2
2. Continue to draw more overlapping curved lines. Notice that you now have two separate sections of rock - the sides of the opening of the cave.
Easy Cave Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a long, curved line to draw another segment of rock near the top of the cave opening.
Easy Cave Drawing - Step 4
4. Finish enclosing the front of the cave using a long curved line. Then, draw more curved lines to provide texture to the rocks and the dark, jagged opening of the cave.
Easy Cave Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw "V" shaped lines all over the face of the rocks, giving them dimension. Sketch some grass growing from a crevice in the rock.
Use curved lines that meet at points. Then, draw a squiggly line near the cave's entrance.
Easy Cave Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a pair of wavy lines from the opening of the cave. These indicate the path. Then, enclose several irregular round shapes to indicate stones on the ground.
Easy Cave Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a series of connected curved lines near the bottom of the cave and another midway up the page. This outlines trees and other plant growth in the distance.
Add More Details to Your Cave Picture - Step 8
8. Complete the treeline with a series of connected curved lines. Above the trees, draw curved lines that meet at points to form mountains in the distance.
Complete the Outline of Your Cave Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the mountains using curved lines. Then, use a series of connected curved lines to indicate clouds above them.
Color Your Cave Drawing
Color your cartoon cave.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cave Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).