Learn how to draw a great looking Grizzly Bear with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Grizzly Bear.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Grizzly bears or brown bears are one of the largest predators in North America. In fact, the Kodiak bear, a subspecies of the grizzly that lives on Alaskan islands, is the largest land carnivore in the world. These North American brown bears are the descendants of the Eurasian brown bear.
Did you know? On their famous expedition, William Clark and Meriwether Lewis first described this bear as "grisley."
The intended term could have been "grizzled," meaning hair with golden or grey tips. Or, it could have been "grisly," meaning fear-inspiring or gruesome.
Grizzly bears have long held a place in human culture. Native Americans had many legends about the animals and viewed them with great respect.
European colonists feared the bears, and bear attacks are a common theme in their paintings and artwork. Today, they may be seen in logos or on flags, on clothing, or as stuffed children's toys.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
They have starred in movies such as Brother Bear and in books such as the Seekers series. A number of sports teams, such as the Memphis Grizzlies basketball team, have adopted the bear as their mascot.
Would you like to draw a cartoon grizzly bear? This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Bear, Cartoon Bear, and Lion.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Grizzly Bear
How to Draw a Great Looking Grizzly Bear for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing guide lines to help you form the bear's body and head. Draw a large oval for the body and a circle for the head.
Easy Grizzly Bear Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw more guide lines to indicate the bear's hip and shoulders. Draw two circles just below the head, and a larger circle overlapping the opposite side of the oval.
Easy Grizzly Bear Drawing - Step 3
3. Begin sketching in the details of the bear's back and head. Use curved lines to enclose the ears alongside the circle. Then, use short, overlapping curved lines to detail the sides of the bear's face around the circle; to connect the tops of the circle and oval, indicating the bear's shoulder; and to form the hump of the hip on the bear's back, continuing along the furry rump.
Easy Grizzly Bear Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a similar technique - overlapping curved lines - to sketch the foreleg and paw. Use the circle as a guide for placing the leg.
Easy Grizzly Bear Drawing - Step 5
5. Use overlapping curved lines to sketch the rear leg and paw. Again, use the circle as a guide to locate the bear's hip.
Easy Grizzly Bear Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase the previously used guiding circles and the top portion of the original oval. Use the remaining circle to locate the far front shoulder. Then, use short, overlapping curved lines to sketch the bear's remaining foreleg and paw. Sketch the remaining rear leg just in front of the existing rear leg. Draw overlapping curved lines along the belly to give it a furry appearance.
Easy Grizzly Bear Drawing - Step 7
7. Erase the remaining guide lines. Then, enclose small, curved triangles at the tip of each toe to form the claws.
Add More Details to Your Grizzly Bear Picture - Step 8
8. Detail the bear's face. Use curved lines to enclose the pointed eyebrows and eyes. Shade a small circle within each eye to indicate the pupil. Then, use curved lines to sketch the snout, nose, muzzle, and mouth. Texture the muzzle or upper lip with dots.
Complete the Outline of Your Grizzly Bear Drawing - Step 9
9. Give the grizzly bear a furry texture by drawing patches of short curved lines on his head, body, and limbs.
Color Your Grizzly Bear Drawing
Color your grizzly bear. Grizzlies are most often brown in color, but they can also be white, blonde, or reddish.
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! You can learn to draw an entire cartoon zoo.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Grizzly Bear Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).