Learn how to draw a great looking Chibi Cat with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Chibi Cat.
Chibi refers to a style of "super deformed" Japanese art and animation in which a character's proportions are altered for a cute effect.
This can also be done to show or emphasize certain emotions, like anger or love.
The word "chibi" means "short or small."
Chibi characters resemble children (or in this case, kittens) because their heads are unusually large - representing one third to one half of the character's body.
Cats are extremely common in anime cartoons and manga. Some of the most famous include Jiji from Kiki's Delivery Service, Luna and Artemis from Sailor Moon, Molly from The Ancient Magus Bride, Meowth from Pokémon Chi of Chi's Sweet Home Nyanko-sensei of Natsume's Book of Friends, Arthur of Code Geass, and Korin of Dragon Ball Z.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Some non-feline characters even take on catlike characteristics during chibi sequences.
As one anime fan put it, "You guys understand that everything can be improved by drawing cat ears and a tail on it."
Would you like to draw an adorable chibi cat? This easy, step-by-step chibi cartoon drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Kawaii Cat
How to Draw a Great Looking Chibi Cat for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the sides of the kawaii cat's face. Use a curved line for each side. Note the tiny curved line added to the base of one of the larger lines.
Easy Chibi Cat Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the cat's neck. Extend a furry textured line from each side of the face. The lines should consist of short, overlapping, curved lines.
Easy Chibi Cat Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw two overlapping "U" shaped lines to form the kawaii cat's forelegs.
Easy Chibi Cat Drawing - Step 4
4. Extend a long, spiraling line from the base of the neck to the side of the foreleg, outlining the back, hips, and rear leg.
Easy Chibi Cat Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a small "U" shaped line on the opposite side of the forelegs, enclosing the shape of the remaining rear foot.
Easy Chibi Cat Drawing - Step 6
6. Extend a long, curved line from the hips and double it back upon itself to form the fluffy tail. Draw a series of connected, curved lines that meet in jagged points across the tail near the tip.
Easy Chibi Cat Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the cat's ears. For each ear, use two curved lines to enclose the triangular shape. Then, connect the ears using a curved line, simultaneously outlining the top of the head. Detail the inside of each ear using a triangular shape. The bottom of the triangle should consist of a series of overlapping curved lines. The sides are also curved, with one corner not fully attached.
Add More Details to Your Chibi Cat Picture - Step 8
8. Begin to detail the kitten's face. Use a thick curved line to sketch each eyebrow. Then, draw the eyes, enclosing smaller circles within larger circles. Shade between the two smallest, forming the pupils. Then, shade a small, rounded triangle at the corner of each eye.
Complete the Outline of Your Chibi Cat Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the cartoon cat's face. Draw an oval on each cheek, and a small, inverted, rounded triangle for the nose. Beneath it, draw a rounded "W" shape to form the mouth. Finally, use curved lines to indicate whiskers extending from below the nose.
Color Your Chibi Cat Drawing
Color your cute chibi cat. In the real world, cats come in a wide variety of colors - black, white, grey, orange, yellow, and brown, with spots and stripes mixed in. In anime, animals often feature bright and unnatural colors, so feel free to be creative!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Chibi Cat Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).