A beginner-friendly guide to learning how to draw a great-looking Anime Cat with easy, step by step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for beginner artists!
Add a dose of adorable to your next manga when you learn how to draw an anime cat. You'll find the easy, step-by-step tutorial below.
How are cats represented in anime? Sometimes, they are merely background elements, as when a cartoon supervillain is seen stroking his cat as he speaks. At other times, they are full-fledged characters.
Some, like the Jiji cat from Kiki's Delivery Service, can even speak and be understood by their human companions.
Step-by-Step Tutorial for Drawing an Anime Cat
Below, you will learn how to make a black and white anime cat drawing.
Anime Cat drawing - Step 1
1. Begin drawing your anime or manga cat with a simple circle. This will become the cat's head. Draw a grid line across the lower 2/3 of the face to help you place the facial features.
Anime Cat drawing - Step 2
2. Center the cat's slanted, pointed eyes over the two halves of the horizontal grid line. The inner corners should meet the line about 1/4 the distance from the vertical line. Contour above each eye with a short line.
Then, use curved lines to sketch the cat's triangular ears and the jagged tufts of fur on his cheeks. Notice the small tufts of fur at the tip of each ear.
Anime Cat drawing - Step 3
3. Erase the grid lines and the remnants of the original circle. Connect the ears and detail inside them using short jagged lines. Connect the sides of the face, noting the bulge of the chin. Use a rounded "W" shaped line for the cat's mouth and a small inverted triangle for the nose pad. Contour the nose between the eyes using a short line.
Anime Cat drawing - Step 4
4. Use short lines that meet at jagged points to sketch the cat's furry body. Begin with the shoulders and chest.
Anime Cat drawing - Step 5
5. Use pairs of long curved lines to draw the cat's legs. At the bottom of each leg, use overlapping curved lines to sketch the paws and toes.
Anime Cat drawing - Step 6
6. Use curved lines to sketch the cat's back, belly, and rear leg. Notice the jagged tufts of fur.
Anime Cat drawing - Step 7
7. Use curved lines of various lengths to draw the cat's long, fluffy tail. Allow the lines to meet at jagged points.
Anime Cat drawing - Step 8
8. Color your anime cat. We've shaded ours black and white in a "tuxedo" pattern.
Cats come in many colors, though. You could give yours orange and yellow stripes - a "marmalade" cat. Or it could be a black and gray striped tabby. Siamese cats are sandy with brown ears and noses, and calicos are white with black and orange spots. Some cats are solid white, black, or gray.
What to draw next?
Cats and dogs are among the most common animals in anime - likely because our pets are the most common animals in our lives. You can also draw the dog's wild relative, the fierce anime wolf or cute chibi wolf.
Looking to draw other pets in anime or chibi style? Why don't you try and draw man's best friend by following this anime dog drawing tutorial?
This cat clearly has some attitude, maybe it belongs a cool anime wizard?
If you liked the above, you should continue your easy manga drawing quest with these step-by-step tutorials.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).