Learn how to draw a great looking Corgi with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Corgi.
The Welsh corgi is one of the most popular herding dog breeds in the world. According to the American Kennel Club, they are "among the most agreeable of all small (but not as small as... lets say a hedgehog) house dogs...strong, athletic, and lively...affectionate and companionable without being needy."
They are beloved pets in households around the world.
Corgis were brought to England in the 1100s by a group of craftsmen who relocated from Belgium. Eventually, the dogs developed into two breeds, the Pembroke and the Cardigan corgis.
One of the world's most famous corgi owners is Queen Elizabeth II of England. She adopted her first corgi in 1933 and has owned one or more of the dogs ever since.
Corgis are small, growing only 12 inches high and weigh about 30 pounds. Originally bred to herd cattle, they are fearless and make good watchdogs.
Their small size allowed them to nip at the heels of the cattle without being kicked. They have a loud "big dog bark" despite their small stature. The word "corgi" is derived from "kergie," the Celtic word for "dog."
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw an adorable Welsh corgi? This easy, step-by-step cartoon dog drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
See also, For Kids Guide to Drawing a Puppy.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cartoon Corgi
How to Draw a Great Looking Corgi for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will help you sketch the cartoon corgi's head.
Easy Corgi Drawing - Step 2
2. Begin sketching the dog's face. Start with the snout. Use curved lines to sketch the nose, upper jaw, and open mouth. Use short lines to add a bit of furry texture where the snout joins the rest of the face.
Easy Corgi Drawing - Step 3
3. Outline the ears, cheeks, and ruff of the neck. Use curved lines to craft the rounded triangular ears, and overlapping curved lines for the furry neck. Detail the inner ears with overlapping curved lines.
Easy Corgi Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase the guide lines of the original circle, leaving a clean outline of the face.
Easy Corgi Drawing - Step 5
5. Complete the details of the face. Use thick curved lines to outline the eyes. Then, draw a series of successively smaller ovals within each eye. Shade between the two smallest to form the pupil. Enclose pointed, curved shapes above each eye to indicate eyebrows. Then, use a series of curved lines to draw a stripe between the eyes that extends to the nose.
Easy Corgi Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the fur of the cartoon corgi's chest using a series of short, curved, overlapping lines and lines that meet at points. The chest should be roughly an inverted triangle in shape.
Easy Corgi Drawing - Step 7
7. Begin to draw the cartoon corgi's body. Use a curved line to outline the back, and a pair of curved lines to outline the foreleg. Note the pointed tuft of fur at the ankle. Then, use overlapping curved lines to enclose the toes and paw. Draw a second leg and paw emerging from behind the first, and use a curved line to begin the outline of the belly.
Add More Details to Your Corgi Picture - Step 8
8. Use curved lines to outline the belly, hip, and rump. Note the tufts of fur here and there made of lines that meet at a point. Use a series of parallel curved lines to sketch the furry legs. Then, enclose the toes and paws using overlapping curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Corgi Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the corgi's tiny tail. Use a curved line for the top of the tail and a series of short lines that meet at jagged points for the furry bottom of the tail.
Color Your Corgi Drawing
Color your Welsh corgi. They are typically red, brown, or black and may have white markings.
Then, complete your pack with more canine cartoons from our animal drawing guides.
For more great Dog drawing tutorials, see the 50 Easy Dog Art Projects for Kids post.
For more easy dog drawing tutorials, see the collection of Ideas for Drawing Dogs the Easy Way.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Get Creative with Easy Step-by-Step Tutorials for Drawing Puppies page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Corgi Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).