Learn how to draw a great looking Dahlia with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Dahlia.
Dahlias are big, pom pom-shaped flowers with many layers of small, overlapping petals. Draw a dahlia using this easy, step-by-step flower drawing tutorial.
There are many different types of dahlias - some look like round balls, while others resemble the tentacles of sea anemones. This decorative dahlia has teardrop-shaped petals.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? Dahlia blooms range in size from to inches to 15 inches across. You can draw a life-sized dahlia no matter how big or small your paper is.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Dahlia
How to Draw a Great Looking Dahlia for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the dahlia outline by drawing two rows of overlapping "U" shaped lines. These lines should form the oval-shaped center of the flower.
Easy Dahlia Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a few small "U" shaped petals inside the flower's center, as well as around its outer edge. Then begin drawing small, teardrop-shaped petals that are pointed in the opposite direction.
Easy Dahlia Drawing - Step 3
3. Continue to draw overlapping, teardrop-shaped petals until they encircle the entire center of the flower.
Easy Dahlia Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw another layer of overlapping, teardrop-shaped petals on the near side of the flower. Contour some of the petals with a curved line.
Easy Dahlia Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw another layer of teardrop-shaped petals completely encircling the flower. Use curved lines to contour some of the petals from the last two rows.
Easy Dahlia Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw another layer of teardrop-shaped petals all around the flower.
Notice that the petals are getting bigger as they get farther away from the flower's center, and those on the near side are larger than those on the far side.
Easy Dahlia Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw another layer of overlapping, teardrop-shaped petals all the way around the flower.
In some places, you may need to use two or even three petals in order to maintain the flower's round shape. Then, draw a stem below the blossom, using parallel curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Dahlia Picture - Step 8
8. Draw leaves along the stem, erasing as necessary. For the vein of each leaf, extend two curved lines and allow them to meet at a sharp point.
Then use short lines that meet at jagged points to enclose the shape of the leaf around the vein.
Complete the Outline of Your Dahlia Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the remaining leaf, using curved lines that meet at jagged points. Then extend curved lines - smaller leaf veins - from each of the central leaf veins.
Color Your Dahlia Drawing
Your dahlia outline is now complete. Color your flower. Dahlias come in shades of orange, pink, purple, red, and white.
Often they are two-toned, with darker colors towards the center of the flower fading to lighter hues near the edges of the petals.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Dahlia Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).