Learn how to draw a great looking Firefly with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Firefly.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"You would not believe your eyes
If ten million fireflies
Lit up the world as I fell asleep
'Cause they fill the open air
And leave teardrops everywhere
You'd think me rude but I would just stand and stare."
- "Fireflies," song by Owl City
The firefly, also called a glow worm or lightning bug, is a beetle that has a special light-producing organ on its abdomen.
The largest can reach 1 inch in length. The bioluminescent light is a "cold light," never warm to the touch, produced by special cells called photocytes.
Did you know? Most lightning bugs seem to blink at random, but certain populations are known as "synchronous fireflies" because they all blink at the same time.
People travel from around the world to see this spectacle. They can be observed at certain times of the year in Southeast Asia, Tennessee's Great Smoky Mountains National Park, South Carolina's Congaree National Park, and Pennsylvania's Allegheny National Forest.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Fireflies are often a background element in film and animation, but occasionally they are characters in and of themselves.
Examples include the circus light crew in Disney's A Bug's Life and Ray from The Princess and the Frog.
Would you like to draw some adorable cartoon fireflies? This easy, step-by-step cartoon insect drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pen, pencil, marker, or crayon and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Cartoon Forest, Dragonfly, and Cartoon Bee.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Firefly
How to Draw a Great Looking Firefly for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the head of the first firefly. Use two curved lines to craft the irregular rounded shape.
Easy Firefly Drawing - Step 2
2. Detail the insect's face. For each eye, draw a circle within a circle and shade between them. Draw a wide "U" shaped line for the mouth. Extend curved lines from the top of the head, and shade an oval at the end of each. These are the bug's antennae.
Easy Firefly Drawing - Step 3
3. Use curved lines to draw the irregular shapes of the thorax and abdomen. Band the body with curved lines.
Easy Firefly Drawing - Step 4
4. Use curved lines to draw the firefly's wings. Extend the wings from the thorax or midsection, and then double them back upon themselves. Enclose a partial circle around the bug's abdomen to indicate its glow.
Easy Firefly Drawing - Step 5
5. Begin drawing the second firefly. Use curved lines to outline its face. Draw a circle within a circle for each eye, and shade between them. Use a "U" shaped line for the mouth and long curved lines for the antennae. Shade an oval at the end of each antenna.
Easy Firefly Drawing - Step 6
6. Use curved lines to enclose the thorax and abdomen. Band the body with curved lines.
Easy Firefly Drawing - Step 7
7. Use long curved lines, doubled back upon themselves, to draw the four wings. Enclose a partial circle around the abdomen to indicate the glow.
Add More Details to Your Firefly Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the third firefly. Use curved lines to outline its face. Draw a circle within a circle for each eye, and shade between them. Use a "U" shaped line for the mouth and long curved lines for the antennae. Shade an oval at the end of each antenna. Use curved lines to enclose the thorax and abdomen. Band the body with curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Firefly Drawing - Step 9
9. Use long curved lines, doubled back upon themselves, to draw the wings. Enclose a partial circle around the abdomen to indicate the glow.
Color Your Firefly Drawing
Color your cartoon fireflies. Most lightning bug species are black and orange in color, with yellow or green bioluminescence.
Will you keep your fireflies in a jar or let them roam free in their forest home? Why not draw both!
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Best Things to draw Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Firefly Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).