Learn how to draw a great looking German Shepherd with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect German Shepherd.
The German shepherd is a large dog known for its intelligence, loyalty, and noble appearance. German shepherds are working dogs; they were bred for work in herding livestock and protecting the farm.
Other names for the breed include Alsatian hound, Alsatian wolf-dog, or Schaferhund.
Today, German shepherds serve as beloved pets, watchdogs, military and police dogs, and as guides for the blind. German shepherds also compete in dog shows and agility competitions. As working dogs, they have abundant energy; they require plenty of exercise and diversion.
German shepherds have long been a favorite subject of both fine art and cartoons. Notable examples include Rin Tin Tin, Disney's Bolt, and Batman's Ace the Bat-Hound.
Superman's Krypto the Superdog also resembles a white German shepherd, although he is officially of a generic pedigree.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a noble German shepherd dog? This easy, step-by-step cartoon dog drawing guide can show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
See also, Art Project of Drawing a Puppy.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a German Shepherd
How to Draw a Great Looking German Shepherd for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will help you to form the German shepherd’s head.
Easy German Shepherd Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the ears, erasing as necessary. Use curved lines that meet at gentle points to form each ear.
Easy German Shepherd Drawing - Step 3
3. Contour the face, erasing as necessary. On the cheeks, give the impression of bushy fur by drawing a series of short lines that meet at jagged points. Connect the cheeks with a curved line, outlining the protrusion of the snout.
Easy German Shepherd Drawing - Step 4
4. Detail the inner ears with a triangular shape. Notice the overlapping “U” shaped lines on one side of the triangle. Use thick curved lines to form the eyebrows. Draw several successively smaller circles to form the eyes; shade between the two smallest. Draw an oval within an oval to form the nose, and shade between them. Draw a “W” shaped line to indicate the mouth. Contour the snout by drawing two lines upward from the nose and a curved line at the base of the snout.
Easy German Shepherd Drawing - Step 5
5. Enclose a triangular patch of fur beneath the head. For each side, use a series of short, curved lines that meet at jagged points.
Easy German Shepherd Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the dog’s legs. Use pairs of curved lines for each. Then, enclose the paws by using “U” shaped lines to form each toe. At the base of the legs, draw furry patches using a series of curved lines that meet at jagged points.
Easy German Shepherd Drawing - Step 7
7. Outline the dog’s back and belly. Note the jagged, furry lines at the shoulders, hips, and all along the belly.
Add More Details to Your German Shepherd Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the rear legs. Use pairs of long, curved lines for each. Note the patches of jagged fur near the tops of the legs, and the bend of the ankle. Enclose the paws using “U” shaped lines to form each toe. Draw a short, curved line at the ankle.
Complete the Outline of Your German Shepherd Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the shepherd’s tail. Use a series of short, curved lines that meet at points, and double it back upon itself. Then, use a similar series of lines to texture the tail and body.
Color Your German Shepherd Drawing
Color your cartoon German shepherd dog. Many German shepherds are black and tan, but they can also be solid white or solid black. A variety known as the king shepherd has patches of white on the belly, tail, and chin. Panda shepherds have brown blocks of color around their eyes with white or cream muzzles extending up the center of the face.
Who let the dogs out? We did! Check out all of our canine cartoon drawing guides.
For more great Dog drawing tutorials, see the 50 Step-by-Step Dog Drawing Guides post.
For more easy dog drawing tutorials, see the collection of Instructions on How to Draw Dogs.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Create Fun Puppy Drawings with Step-by-Step Tutorials for Kids page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
German Shepherd Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).