Learn how to draw a great looking Golden Retriever with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Golden Retriever.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Golden retrievers are a popular dog breed. Retrievers are a type of sporting dog or gundog that can be trained to retrieve or fetch game that has been shot down by a hunter.
Golden retrievers, in particular, were bred in Scotland during the 1800s for fetching waterfowl. They were bred from yellow retrievers, the Tweed water spaniel, Irish setter, and bloodhound. They are often referred to as "goldens" for short, and their long fur is ideally waterproof.
Golden retrievers are known for being good swimmers and family pets. They are friendly, generally good-natured, eager to work, and easy to train. They are also used as "seeing eye" guide dogs for blind individuals and in search and rescue.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Golden retrievers have long been a part of popular culture as well. They have starred in the long-running Air Bud and Air Buddies franchise, and have made appearances such as Shadow in Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, Harvey in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and Old Dan in Where the Red Fern Grows. You'll find images of this gentle dog in the homes of many owners.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of a golden retriever dog? This easy, step-by-step cartoon canine drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
For more easy and fun guides, see the How to Draw a Coyote or German Shepherd Drawing tutorials.
See also, How to Draw a Puppy Easily.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Golden Retriever
How to Draw a Great Looking Golden Retriever for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. Then, draw a smaller oval overlapping it. This will help you to draw the dog's head and muzzle.
Easy Golden Retriever Drawing - Step 2
2. Use curved lines to sketch in details around the guide lines. Notice the lines that form the forehead, nose, and lower jaw.
Easy Golden Retriever Drawing - Step 3
3. Continue sketching in the details of the face. Use overlapping curved lines to form the rounded floppy ear. Draw a small circle within an irregular rounded shape to form the nose and nostrils. Use curved lines to sketch the roughly triangular shape of the eye, the brow above it, and the mouth.
Easy Golden Retriever Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase the guide lines from the head and snout. Below the head, use a long, curved line to enclose the irregular rounded shape of the body. Then, draw two circles overlapping the bottom of the body.
Easy Golden Retriever Drawing - Step 5
5. Begin sketching in the furry outline of the body. Use a series of curved lines to connect the neck and back. Use many short, curved lines that meet at jagged points to sketch the furry neck, rump, and belly. Using the circles as guides, sketch in the legs. Note how the legs extend upwards into the body, past the circles. Draw another layer of furry jagged points between the upper legs. Use curved lines to sketch the paws at the ends of the feet, noting the line distinguishing the toes. Then, draw short lines at the ankle.
Easy Golden Retriever Drawing - Step 6
6. Use furry, jagged lines to sketch in the far foreleg and paw. Don't forget the short lines at the ankle.
Easy Golden Retriever Drawing - Step 7
7. Use a series of jagged lines to sketch the remaining rear leg.
Add More Details to Your Golden Retriever Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the dog's tail. Use a series of overlapping curved lines, some of which meet at jagged points, to outline the curled tail. Then, give it a furry texture using additional curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Golden Retriever Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw long and short curved lines all over the dog's body to give him a furry texture.
Color Your Golden Retriever Drawing
Color your golden retriever. These dogs are typically blonde, with colors varying from white and cream to brown and reddish gold.
Who let the dogs out? We did! Build your pack of man's best friend with the help of our other cartoon dog drawing guides.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Easy Things to draw Art Projects for Kids post.
For more easy dog drawing tutorials, see the collection of Fun Dog Drawings.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Unleash Your Inner Artist with Step-by-Step Tutorials on Drawing Puppies page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Golden Retriever Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).