Learn how to draw a great looking Graveyard with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Graveyard.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
A cemetery or graveyard is a place set aside for burying the remains of the deceased. Cemeteries reflect the religious beliefs of the area and are often considered "holy ground." In some countries, such as Mexico and Japan, festivals in honor of the dead are celebrated in graveyards.
Since ancient times, graveyards were often avoided for sanitary reasons. The ancient Jews and Romans, for example, required that graveyards be located outside of cities. Later, graves were common in churchyards or "family plots" near homes.
Superstition added to the avoidance of graveyards. People feared that the dead or their spirits could rise from their graves to harm the living. These beliefs have especially centered around holidays such as Halloween and its predecessors.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon graveyard? This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial is here to help you craft a creepy scene. All you will need is a pen, pencil, or marker and a sheet of paper.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Tombstone, Haunted House, and Scarecrow.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Graveyard
How to Draw a Great Looking Graveyard for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the first tombstone. Use a series of curved lines to draw the basic shape of the headstone, like a rectangle with a half-circle on top. Draw lines that run parallel to half the tombstone, then connect them to the top of the stone to give it a three-dimensional appearance. Note the overlap that resembles a crack in the top of the stone. Draw a straight line across the "shoulder" of the stone.
Easy Graveyard Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the letters "RIP," which stand for "Rest in Peace," across the front of the stone. Draw connected "U" shaped lines to form the dirt at the base of the stone. At the sides of the stone, draw curved lines that meet at gentle points to indicate blades of grass.
Easy Graveyard Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a pair of curved lines to form a path or road through the graveyard. Texture it with "U" shaped lines. Then, draw a second tombstone. Use curved lines to sketch the irregular shape and give it a three-dimensional appearance. Draw grass at the corners of the stone.
Easy Graveyard Drawing - Step 4
4. Next, draw the small building in the cemetery. It could be a church, chapel, mausoleum, or crypt. Use straight lines to sketch a cube with an open top. Then, draw the "V" shaped roof using curved lines. Draw the foundation of the building using parallel straight lines that meet at rounded corners.
Easy Graveyard Drawing - Step 5
5. Detail the building. Use an inverted "U" shaped line to form the door, with a circle for a doorknob and textured with straight, vertical lines. Draw a window by shading four triangular shapes. Use curved lines and "U" shaped lines to texture the roof, and draw a "t" shaped cross on the top.
Easy Graveyard Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw additional tombstones - crosses, rectangles, and rounded shapes. Draw lines parallel to the outline to give each shape a three-dimensional appearance. Draw grass at the base of each stone.
Easy Graveyard Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw even more tombstones with grass at their bases. Contour the ground with "U" shaped hills.
Add More Details to Your Graveyard Picture - Step 8
8. Use a long, curved line to create the horizon in the distance. Draw more tombstones on the horizon, both irregular and cross-shaped.
Complete the Outline of Your Graveyard Drawing - Step 9
9. Use a long, curved line to enclose the semicircular shape of the moon rising over the horizon. Then, draw a contorted tree. Use curved lines to sketch its roots, trunk, and branches. Allow the lines to meet at points at the tip of each twig. Finally, shade a round shape - a knothole - in the middle of the trunk.
Color Your Graveyard Drawing
Color your cartoon graveyard. Notice how the sky is shaded in our example to indicate the presence of clouds.
For more great Drawing Ideas tutorials, see the 100 Simple Drawing Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Graveyard Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).