Learn how to draw a great looking Easy Mallard Duck with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Easy Mallard Duck.
Mallards are one of the most recognizable waterbirds in the world. You can learn how to draw an easy mallard duck in a few simple steps.
Mallards are not just a common wild duck - they are also the ancestor of most domestic ducks.
Mallards are "dabbling ducks" - they eat plants and animals in shallow water by "tipping up" with their tails in the air and their heads under water.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Not all mallards look like the one in our illustration. In fact, it is only the males, called drakes, that have the iconic iridescent green head. Female ducks, called hens, are brown and speckled.
Are you ready to create your own easy mallard duck cartoon? You won't need any special tools.
If you have common school supplies including pencils, pens, or colored pencils, you can complete this easy mallard duck outline.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing an Easy Mallard Duck
How to Draw a Great Looking Easy Mallard Duck for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the easy mallard duck outline by sketching his eyes. Use curved lines to outline the shape of the eyes, the brow ridge, and the top of the head. Enclose a partial circle in each eye.
Easy Easy Mallard Duck Drawing - Step 2
2. Continue to draw the back and side of the head using overlapping curved lines. Use more curved lines for the beak.
Notice how the lines overlap, forming the opening of the mouth. Draw a short line at the corner of the mouth and two more for the nostrils. Finally, draw a "V" shaped line at the tip of the beak.
Easy Easy Mallard Duck Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw two long curved lines below the head to form the duck's neck.
Easy Easy Mallard Duck Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw two curved lines across the duck's neck. Then, draw the wing, using a long curved line and several shorter curved lines that meet at points.
Easy Easy Mallard Duck Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a curved line from the base of the neck to the wingtip. Then draw several shorter lines converging at the same point.
Easy Easy Mallard Duck Drawing - Step 6
6. Enclose the easy mallard duck cartoon by drawing a long, curved line from the chest to the tip of the tail. Then, draw several overlapping "V" shaped lines to indicate tailfeathers.
Easy Easy Mallard Duck Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a zig-zag line across the bird's chest, separating the chest and belly markings.
Add More Details to Your Easy Mallard Duck Picture - Step 8
8. Detail and texture the animal's wing. Use connected curved lines to trace the tips of the feathers.
Complete the Outline of Your Easy Mallard Duck Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your easy mallard duck outline by drawing ripples in the water beneath the duck. Use curved lines of various lengths.
Color Your Easy Mallard Duck Drawing
Color your cartoon of an easy mallard duck. Males of this type of duck have a green head, a brown chest, and a white ring in between. Females are several shades of brown.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Easy Mallard Duck Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).