Learn how to draw a great looking Hyena with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Hyena.
The hyena is a mammal that resembles a dog. The three species of hyena are native to Africa and Asia.
Hyenas live in packs and are predators as well as opportunistic scavengers. Females serve as the alpha or leader in hyena society.
The spotted hyena, Africa's largest hyena species, is sometimes called the laughing hyena. Do hyenas really laugh?
Hyenas make a number of different sounds, some of which sound like giggles or cackling laughter. The hyena, however, doesn't make this sound when it's happy. Rather, it "laughs" when stressed or under attack.
Perhaps the most famous animated hyenas are Shenzi, Banzai, and Ed from Disney's The Lion King, along with their counterparts Janja and Jasiri from the spinoff The Lion Guard.
Bud and Lou are a pair of laughing hyenas that are pets of the Joker and Harley Quinn in the DC Comics universe.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a smiling cartoon hyena? This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pen, pencil, marker, or crayon and a sheet of paper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Hyena
How to Draw a Great Looking Hyena for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the hyena's face. Draw irregular rounded shapes for the eyes and nose. Within each eye, draw two successively smaller circles. Shade between them to indicate the pupil. Shade small ovals within the nose to indicate nostrils. Draw curved lines above the eyes to indicate eyelids, and another to connect the eye and nose.
Easy Hyena Drawing - Step 2
2. Use curved lines to sketch the outline of the hyena's face. Note the overlap of fur and the contours of the open mouth. Draw a curved line beneath the nose and at the corner of the mouth.
Easy Hyena Drawing - Step 3
3. Detail the teeth and tongue. Use curved lines to sketch triangular teeth along the upper and lower jaw. Note that the canine teeth are larger than the rest. Use curved lines to outline the tongue, noting the line down its middle.
Easy Hyena Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the ears using pairs of long curved lines. Connect them at the tip with a series of "U" shaped lines. Use pairs of lines that meet at jagged points to outline the head, including the inner ears, the tuft of fur between the ears, and the side of the face.
Easy Hyena Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to sketch the furry neck and chest. Then, use a pair of lines to outline the leg. Connect the lines at the end with a series of short, overlapping lines, forming the toes.
Easy Hyena Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a long, curved line to outline the hyena's sloping back and the top of the tail. Draw the bottom of the tail using connected curved lines.
Easy Hyena Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw several series of curved lines to sketch the furry belly, upper leg, and base of the neck. Then, extend a pair of lines to form the lower leg. Connect the lines at the end using overlapping curved lines, forming the paw and toes.
Add More Details to Your Hyena Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the rear legs. Use a series of curved lines to sketch the furry upper legs, then extend pairs of lines for the lower legs. Connect them using overlapping curved lines to form the paws.
Complete the Outline of Your Hyena Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a series of lines that meet at gentle or jagged points at the back of the neck to form the mane or scruff. Draw circles, ovals, and irregular shapes across the animal's body to indicate its spots.
Color Your Hyena Drawing
Color your cartoon hyena. Hyenas are typically shades of brown, cream, and grey with darker markings.
The Pridelands are in danger! Find Simba and his crew among our animal drawing guides.
For more great Safari Animals drawing tutorials, see the 31 Easy Safari Animals Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Hyena Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).