Learn how to draw a great looking Jumping Horse with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Jumping Horse.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Would you like to learn how to draw a jumping horse cartoon? This easy, step-by-step equine drawing tutorial will show you how.
Horses are majestic animals. In the wild, they live in groups, run fast, and jump when frightened and to avoid predators. They may also jump over obstacles such as streams or fences to get where they want to go.
About 6,000 years ago, humans first domesticated wild horses. Since then, people have trained them to do all sorts of jobs, from carrying people on their backs to pulling wagons, chariots, and plows.
A lot of a horse's training involves "desensitizing" it to things it is naturally afraid of. You don't want a horse to "spook" unexpectedly and jump while you are riding it!
On the other hand, some horses are trained to jump. Showjumping or stadium jumping is a sport in which a rider guides the horse through an obstacle course, jumping over poles called crossrails.
Yee-haw! Grab your pen, pencil, and cowboy hat - it's time to tame this cartoon horse!
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Pegasus, Horseshoe, and Cowboy.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Jumping Horse
How to Draw a Great Looking Jumping Horse for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin sketching your jumping horse outline with a "J" shaped curved line. This will form the jumping horse's long face. Notice the slight bulges in the crook of the "J" that indicate the horse's nose. Enclose a curved triangle shape to form the eye, and shade a round pupil within it. Contour the corner of the mouth, above the eye, and below the eye with short curved lines.
Easy Jumping Horse Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, use a long curved line to trace the horse's lower lip and jaw. Below this, draw a "Y" shaped line to form the neck. Contour the jawline and below the eye with curved lines.
Easy Jumping Horse Drawing - Step 3
3. Extend pairs of curved lines from the top of the head to form the ears. Each set of lines should meet at sharp points. Contour inside each ear with a curved line.
Then, use a series of curved lines that meet at jagged points to draw the mane between the ears. Then, from the back of the ears, draw a long curved line to form the back of the neck.
Easy Jumping Horse Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the horse's mane. Use a series of short curved lines that meet at jagged points. Then, contour the jumping horse's shoulder with a curved line.
Easy Jumping Horse Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a series of curved lines to sketch the horse's leg. The lines should double back on themselves to complete the bent leg. Draw a line across the bottom of the leg to outline the horse's hoof.
Easy Jumping Horse Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the second foreleg, partially hidden by the first. Use a long, curved line that doubles back on itself to outline the leg. Draw a line across the bottom of the leg to indicate the foot. Then, use a long curved line for the horse's belly, and two more lines to contour the front leg.
Easy Jumping Horse Drawing - Step 7
7. Continue the long, curved line of the back, and double it back upon itself to enclose the extended rear leg. Draw a line across it to indicate the hoof. This completes the basic jumping horse outline, but you have a few more details to add.
Add More Details to Your Jumping Horse Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the remaining rear leg. Again, extend a long curved line and double it back upon itself to form the leg. Band the bottom of the leg with a curved line, and use another to contour the hips.
Complete the Outline of Your Jumping Horse Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the jumping horse's flowing tail. Use curved lines of various lengths. Allow them to meet at sharp points.
Color Your Jumping Horse Drawing
Color your cartoon jumping horse outline. Horses are often black, brown, blonde, white, or reddish. Some have spots or other markings.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Jumping Horse Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).