Learn how to draw a great looking Kawaii Dragon with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Kawaii Dragon.
"Dra-gon, not lizard. I don't do that tongue thing."
- Mushu from Disney's Mulan
The dragon is a mythical and often mystical creature. Dragons are typically serpent-like and scaly with batlike wings. Some breath fire, ice, or water.
Dragons have long been an aspect of popular culture. In the east, they were malevolent or benevolent deities, often protectors. In the west, they were more often depicted as fire-breathing monsters whom only the bravest of the brave could slay.
Dragons epitomized evil and sin. Norse warriors carved dragon's heads on their ships in order to inspire terror.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In recent times, dragons have surged in popularity, due to films such as How to Train Your Dragon and myriads of smartphone apps that involve breeding, raising, and battling dragons.
Kawaii is characterized by a childish appearance, a round face, huge eyes, and a small body.
Would you like to draw a cute kawaii dragon? This easy, step-by-step cartoon dragon tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser. You may also wish to color your finished dragon.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Kawaii Dragon
How to Draw a Great Looking Kawaii Dragon for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will form the dragon’s head.
Easy Kawaii Dragon Drawing - Step 2
2. Erase the bottom half of the circle and replace it with a curved line. Note the bulge that forms the dragon’s chubby cheek. Also, erase a small space at the top of the head. Draw a curved triangle in the space, forming a spike or horn at the top of the head.
Easy Kawaii Dragon Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the dragon’s ears or dorsal fins. For each, extend three lines from the top of the head. Connect them using curved lines. Then, draw a curved line roughly parallel to the top line and connected at the point.
Easy Kawaii Dragon Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase two additional spaces on top of the head. Draw a curved triangle within each, forming additional spikes. Then, draw more triangular spikes across the top of the head, decreasing in size.
Easy Kawaii Dragon Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend a long, curved line from the head and double it back upon itself to outline the body.
Easy Kawaii Dragon Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase portions of the body’s sides to make way for the arms. Outline the arms using curved lines, and connect them at the tips with straight lines. Enclose small triangles all along the straight lines to indicate the fingers or claws.
Easy Kawaii Dragon Drawing - Step 7
7. Erase portions at the bottom of the body. Fill one with an oval to form the bottom of the foot. Draw curved lines at each end of the oval to indicate the leg. Draw another oval and connect it to the body using curved lines, forming the remaining foot. Then, draw a narrow triangle emerging from the other opening using curved lines. Enclose a teardrop shape at the tip. This forms the dragon’s tail.
Add More Details to Your Kawaii Dragon Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the dragon’s tiny wing. Use curved lines to outline the shape, then draw curved lines across it.
Complete the Outline of Your Kawaii Dragon Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the dragon’s face in classic kawaii style. For each eye, draw a circle with smaller circles inside it. Shade between the circles. Enclose a pointed, curved shape above each eye to indicate the eyebrow. Use a gently curved line and a “U” shaped line to enclose the mouth. Draw two “U” shaped teeth and use a curved line to differentiate the tongue.
Color Your Kawaii Dragon Drawing
Color your kawaii dragon, then check out our other cartoon dragon drawing guides.
For more great Cartoons drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy Cartoons Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Kawaii Dragon Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).