Learn how to draw a great looking Cartoon Dragon with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Cartoon Dragon.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"All their hopes hung on fragile dragon wings." - Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey
Would you like to learn how to draw a cartoon dragon? This step-by-step creature drawing tutorial can help you master the cartoon dragon outline.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Dragons! Perhaps no other mythical creature has captured the human imagination so completely. Across cultures and from time immemorial, these scaly, serpentine creatures have both given wings to our dreams and haunted our darkest nightmares.
Dragons seem to be an amalgamation of real-life animals - the long body and tail of the snake, the jaws of the crocodile, and the thin, membranous wings of the bat.
In some myths, dragons are benevolent, helpful protectors. In others, they are dangerous, ravenous beasts bent on causing harm and destruction. What type of dragon will yours turn out to be?
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Flying Dragon, Leafy Sea Dragon, and The Haku Dragon from Spirited Away.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cartoon Dragon
How to Draw a Great Looking Cartoon Dragon for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the cartoon dragon outline by sketching the dragon's face. Use curved lines to outline the eyes, eyebrows, nostrils, and smiling mouth. Draw a rounded triangle to form the horn on the dragon's nose.
Shade a small oval inside the nostril, and large ovals in the eyes to indicate the pupils.
Easy Cartoon Dragon Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a curved line to draw the dragon's open mouth, with "U" shaped lines for the teeth. Use another curved line to draw the bottom of the jaw, with "U" shaped lines at the end.
Draw another short line from the eye to the horn, indicating the opposite cheek.
Easy Cartoon Dragon Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw two wavy, curved triangles to form the horns on the top of the dragon's head. Then, draw curved lines at the bottom of the horns, contouring the skin around them. Next, use wavy curved lines to draw a frill or mane between the horns.
Easy Cartoon Dragon Drawing - Step 4
4. Use long, overlapping curved lines to draw the dragon's neck and belly. Contour the top and bottom of the neck with short lines.
Then, extend a pair of curved lines to form the leg. Draw several rounded triangles to indicate the claws. Connect them with overlapping curved lines, forming the toes.
Easy Cartoon Dragon Drawing - Step 5
5. Use curved lines to draw the remaining legs. Again, draw the rounded triangular claws and connect them using overlapping curved lines to form the toes.
Easy Cartoon Dragon Drawing - Step 6
6. Use long curved lines to draw the neck, the back, and the tail. Allow the lines to meet at a point at the tip of the tail. Notice, too, the open space in the back. Draw a curved line intersecting the line of the neck. This will become the wing and fill that open space.
Easy Cartoon Dragon Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the dragon's wing. At the top of the line drawn in the previous step, draw a triangular claw, and encase its base in curved lines.
Then continue the line to the wingtip. Draw curved lines parallel to the outer edge of the wing, and let them meet the wingtip at a point. Then, draw the batlike wing membrane using a series of connected curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Cartoon Dragon Picture - Step 8
8. Use curved lines to trace the remaining wing, form veins on the original wing, and outline the dragon's belly. Then, draw triangular spikes down the dragon's back and tail.
Complete the Outline of Your Cartoon Dragon Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your cartoon dragon outline by detailing the wing and belly with curved lines. Then, sketch a bit of flame escaping the dragon's mouth.
Color Your Cartoon Dragon Drawing
Color your cartoon dragon. We've shaded ours green, a common color for scaly beasts. Will yours be a rare gold, a magnificent bronze, a sturdy brown, or an agile blue like the dragons of Pern? Or a fiery red like the Monstrous Nightmare from How to Train Your Dragon? The choice is yours.
For more great Drawing Ideas tutorials, see the 100 Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cartoon Dragon Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).