Learn how to draw a great looking Chinese Dragon with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Chinese Dragon drawing.
Would you like to learn how to draw a Chinese dragon? With the help of this mythical creature drawing tutorial, you will soon master the Chinese dragon outline.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Chinese Dragon
How to Draw a Great Looking Chinese Dragon for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the Chinese dragon outline by drawing the dragon's face. Use curved lines that meet at points to draw the eyebrows, then enclose the semicircular eyes beneath. Shade a round pupil inside each eye.
Then, use a series of curved lines to draw the snout, nostrils, and "mustache" beneath it. Shade curved shapes within each nostril.
Easy Chinese Dragon Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, draw the dragon's lower jaw. Use curved lines that meet at gentle points. Then, use lines that meet at points to draw the dragon's large and small teeth.
Easy Chinese Dragon Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a curved line to draw the tongue within the mouth. From each side of the nose, extend pairs of curling curved lines and allow them to meet at sharp points.
Contour the top of the snout and around the eyes with short lines, then use overlapping lines to sketch the top of the head. Extend a line and double it back upon itself to form the dragon's horn.
Easy Chinese Dragon Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the remaining horn, then use curved lines that meet at sharp points to form the mane or spikes at the back of the dragon's head. Use a long curved line to draw the front of the neck.
Easy Chinese Dragon Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the dragon's arm using a pair of curved lines. Draw another pair of lines for each finger, and connect them at the ends. Draw a curved triangle at the tip of each finger to form the claws, and also at the elbow to indicate spikes or tufts of fur.
Then, draw a long curved line to form the dragon's belly.
Easy Chinese Dragon Drawing - Step 6
6. Begin drawing the front and rear leg in the same manner as the first. Again, use curved lines for the arm, leg, fingers, and toes, with curved triangles for the claws and tufts.
Easy Chinese Dragon Drawing - Step 7
7. Complete the foreleg and draw the final rear leg. Again, outline the limbs with curved lines, and use curved triangles for the claws and tufts.
Add More Details to Your Chinese Dragon Picture - Step 8
8. Extend a curved line behind the rear leg to form the tail. Draw another curved line from the back of the head, and allow it to follow the curves of the body until it meets the tail at the tip.
Use curved lines that meet at jagged points to draw spines down the dragon's back and to create a large tuft of hair at the tip of the tail.
Complete the Outline of Your Chinese Dragon Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your Chinese dragon outline by drawing the spines along the back of the tail and texturing the tuft with additional curved lines. Outline the belly with curved lines, and band it with shorter lines.
Color Your Chinese Dragon Drawing
Color your cartoon of a Chinese dragon. We've shaded ours red and gold in a traditional style.
For more great Dragon drawing tutorials, see the 50 Step-by-Step Dragon Drawing Guides post.
Chinese Dragon Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).