Learn how to draw a great looking Landscape with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Landscape drawing.
Whether it's a stand-alone picture or a backdrop for your favorite cartoon characters, landscapes are important. You can learn how to draw a landscape outline with the help of this easy drawing tutorial.
What is a landscape? By definition, a landscape is "a section or expanse of rural scenery, usually extensive, that can be seen from a single viewpoint." It's what you see when you stand still and look out at the land around you, whether you're on a hike, at the park, or looking out your window.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In art, a landscape is a photograph, sketch, or painting that represents a natural environment. Common subjects for landscapes are mountains or beaches. Some landscapes even imagine life on other planets!
Will your landscape sketch be the basis for a fascinating story?
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Landscape
Landscape Drawing - Step 1
1. Begin your landscape outline by drawing a curved line. This will become a grassy hill in the foreground of the picture.
Landscape Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw another curved line. This one is a hill in the distance.
Landscape Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a curved line overlapping the lowest point of that drawn in the previous step. This is another hill. Then, draw another curved line under the second hill. This begins the outline of the river.
Landscape Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw another curved line, roughly parallel to the line drawn in the last step. This represents the opposite bank of the river. Texture the riverbank with a wavy curved line.
Landscape Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw wavy curved lines to texture the opposite side of the riverbank.
Landscape Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw daisy flowers growing in the foreground, erasing as necessary. For each flower, draw a series of connected "U" shaped lines to form a tuft of grass.
Then, extend a curved line to represent the flower's stem. Above the stem, draw a circle to form the center of the flower. Enclose "U" shaped petals around it. From the stem, extend a line and double it back upon itself to enclose the leaf. Then, draw a bee buzzing around the flowers. Use curved lines to enclose the overlapping round shapes of its eyes, head, body, and wings. Stripe the body with curved lines.
Landscape Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a sailboat on the river, erasing as necessary. Use curved lines to outline the irregular shape of the hull and straight lines for the rectangular cabin on top.
Extend two lines upward and allow them to meet at a point, forming the mast. Alongside it, draw the curved triangular sails. Connect one sail to the front of the boat using a straight line. Draw circular portholes on the side, and use curved lines to create ripples in the water around the ship.
Landscape Drawing - Step 8
8. Draw a forest of evergreen trees in the distance. Use curved lines to trace the stacked triangle shapes.
Landscape Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your landscape outline by drawing the sun and clouds in the sky. For the sun, draw a large circle.
Create rays around it using a series of curved lines that meet at points. For each cloud, start with a straight line for the bottom. Then, use "U" shaped lines to enclose the puffy top.
Complete Landscape Drawing
Color your cartoon landscape. We've shaded ours with happy greens and blues.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).