Learn how to draw a great looking Leafy Sea Dragon with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Leafy Sea Dragon.
They have delicate fins that look like stems and leaves. When you look closer, you see that they have eyes and a body like a regular fish.
Leafy sea dragons live in rocky reefs on the Australian coastline. They look like seahorses, although they're more closely related to a type of fish.
Leafy sea dragons are currently an endangered species and might go extinct unless we step up our conservation efforts.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Most people don't own leafy sea dragons as pets, but you might see them in your local aquarium.
Until then, you can draw your own cartoon leafy sea dragon at home. A piece of paper, a pencil and coloring tools are all you need for your drawing.
When you draw your cartoon leafy sea dragon, start with a pencil sketch, then outline the sketch with a pen or marker. Use paint, markers, colored pencils or oil pastels to color your drawing afterward.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Leafy Sea Dragon
How to Draw a Great Looking Leafy Sea Dragon for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. On the left side of the page, draw a hook shape to make the top of the head. Sketch a longer hook shape with a deeper curve, like a coat hanger.
Add a similar hook shape that points in the opposite direction with a curved line at the end.
For the eye, sketch a loose triangle pointing to the right with a curved bottom. Add a circle for the pupil and lines around the eyes and mouth.
Easy Leafy Sea Dragon Drawing - Step 2
2. Use deep, sweeping lines to draw the seaweed shapes around your sea dragon's head. Next, make a curvy V-shape that ends in a point, then sketch more flowy lines at the end.
Easy Leafy Sea Dragon Drawing - Step 3
3. For the left side of the neck, make a hill shape followed by two pointed spikes.
On the right, draw a slightly curved line, then add a sweeping line that connects to the leaf shape. Draw two more thick, wavy leaf shapes using curved lines.
Easy Leafy Sea Dragon Drawing - Step 4
4. On the left, draw a large, swooping line with two teardrop shapes. Sketch the line upward, then make a parallel curved line with similar hill and teardrop shapes attached to it.
Next, draw two long spikes underneath the body.
Easy Leafy Sea Dragon Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw four spikes on the top of the body like the spikes you would see on a dragon. Make a curved line that sharply points upward, then create a narrow triangle followed by a curved line.
Add more loose teardrop shapes and sketch the line inward. Use curved, sweeping lines to complete the seaweed shape.
Easy Leafy Sea Dragon Drawing - Step 6
6. Add two more curved lines with two hill shapes. Sketch a broad, sweeping line that curves downward, then use wavy lines to create a loose feather-like shape. Draw scalloped lines to make the fin on the back.
Easy Leafy Sea Dragon Drawing - Step 7
7. Sketch two more spikes on the left side of the body. For the right, draw a curve, then add loose oblong shapes to create a plantlike structure.
Add More Details to Your Leafy Sea Dragon Picture - Step 8
8. Complete the tail and body with a loose, jagged curve that ends with two more spikes. Underneath, create a fern like shape with long, swooping curves like stretched-out teardrops.
Complete the Outline of Your Leafy Sea Dragon Drawing - Step 9
9. Sketch lines inside the body for added detail. To complete the tail, draw loops like the shapes that you've drawn previously.
Color Your Leafy Sea Dragon Drawing
10. Outline the entire drawing with a black pen, marker or colored pencil.
Once you've completed your cartoon leafy sea dragon, color the body orange and the fins green, like a pumpkin.
Use different shades of orange and green to capture the shadows on the body. Leave the eye white so it stands out.
For more great Sealife drawing tutorials, see the 31 Simple Sealife Drawing Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Leafy Sea Dragon Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).