Learn how to draw a great looking Lilac Flower with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Lilac Flower.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Would you like to learn how to draw a lilac flower? This easy cartoon flower drawing tutorial can show you how.
There are 12 species and over 1,000 varieties of lilacs native to Europe and Asia. They are related to the olive tree. Known as the "queen of shrubs," lilacs are cold-hardy and can grow 30 feet tall. Some live over 100 years. They have a lovely scent.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Lilac stems can be used to make wooden flutes. For this reason, they play a role in the mythology of the Greek god Pan. As Pan chased a nymph named Syringa through the forest, she turned herself into a lilac bush in order to hide from him. He used its branches to make the first panpipe.
As one of the first flowers to bloom each year, lilacs often symbolize spring and renewal. They may also be emblems of love, purity, innocence, happiness, tranquility, and wisdom.
Did you know? Lilacs often survive longer than the homes of the people who planted them. Seemingly random lilac bushes in rural areas mark the former sites of farmhouses.
For more easy and fun guides, see the How to Draw Simple Flowers in a Vase or Dragon with Flowers Drawing tutorials.
See also, Simple Tulip Drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Lilac Flower
How to Draw a Great Looking Lilac Flower for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. The bloom of the lilac is a spray of many tiny flowers. So, let's begin by drawing some! For each flower, draw an oval in the middle. Use "U" shaped lines to outline the four petals. Then draw a curved line down the center of each petal.
Easy Lilac Flower Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw more individual lilac flowers. Again, draw an oval in the middle and use "U" shaped lines to outline the four petals. Then draw a curved line down the center of each petal.
Easy Lilac Flower Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw even more lilac flowers. For each flower, draw an oval in the middle. Use "U" shaped lines to outline the four petals. Then draw a curved line down the center of each petal. Notice that the flowers are arranged in a loose teardrop shape.
Easy Lilac Flower Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw unopened flower buds around the top of the spray. For each, draw a pinched heartlike shape. On some, draw a third petal by placing a curved line between the lobes of the heart shape.
Easy Lilac Flower Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw more unopened and partially opened flowers around and between the existing flowers. For some, use a heart shape or a heart shape with a third petal. For others, use curved lines to enclose a three-lobed shape or even outline a full four-petaled flower.
Easy Lilac Flower Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw more partial flowers. Connect existing flowers at the edge of the spray using a series of connected "U" shaped lines. Draw curved stems for some of the buds on the outer edges.
Easy Lilac Flower Drawing - Step 7
7. Fill in the spaces between the flowers with partial four-petaled flower shapes.
Add More Details to Your Lilac Flower Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the stem of the lilac blossom. Outline it using a pair of long curved lines, and connect them at the bottom. Draw "V" shaped lines at the top of the stem where it splits off into several branches.
Complete the Outline of Your Lilac Flower Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the lilac's leaves. For each leaf, extend a curved line from the stem. Then, extend curved lines from each side of this leaf vein. Allow them to meet at a sharp point.
Color Your Lilac Flower Drawing
Color your cartoon lilac flower. Lilacs famously have purple flowers as their name suggests, but they also come in white, pink, and blue.
For more great Plant cartoons drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy Plant cartoons Art Projects for Kids post.
For more fun flower drawing tutorials, see the collection of How to Create Cute Drawings for Mother's Day.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Lilac Flower Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).