Learn how to draw a great looking Manta Ray with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Manta Ray.
Manta rays are enormous flat fish that appear to "fly" through the water on bat like wings. You can capture the majestic beauty of this creature with this easy, step-by-step manta ray drawing guide.
This manta ray drawing consists of simple shapes. Do you see the triangles that make up this fish's "wings"?
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Manta rays live in the open ocean where there is plenty of space to swim. Can you place them in this underwater scene drawing?
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Manta Ray
How to Draw a Great Looking Manta Ray for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the manta ray outline by drawing a curved line and doubling it back on itself. This is one of the cephalic or head fins, an extension of the winglike pectoral fins.
Did you know? Early sailors thought the cephalic fins looked like horns and gave the fish the nickname devil ray.
Easy Manta Ray Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a "C" shaped line overlapping the edge of the cephalic fin. This is the top of the ray's mouth. Use another curved line to draw the bottom of the open mouth.
Fun fact: rays swim with their mouths open because they are filter feeders. They take in water and strain out the tiny plankton and other organisms that they eat.
Easy Manta Ray Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a curved line, doubled back on itself, to draw the remaining cephalic fin. Contour the inside of the mouth with a curved line.
Easy Manta Ray Drawing - Step 4
4. Above the cephalic fin, draw an oval for the eye. Shade a smaller oval inside it. Contour the ridge above the eye with a curved line.
Easy Manta Ray Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a short curved line for the opposite eye ridge, then a long curved line for the ray's body.
Easy Manta Ray Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the large, winglike pectoral fin using two curved lines that meet at a gentle point. The lines should form a curved triangle shape.
Easy Manta Ray Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the remaining pectoral fin. Use two long curved lines that meet at a gentle point to enclose the partial triangle shape.
Add More Details to Your Manta Ray Picture - Step 8
8. Contour the ray's body with a curved line. Then extend an "S" shaped line from the base of the fin, beginning the manta ray's tail.
Complete the Outline of Your Manta Ray Drawing - Step 9
9. Use two curved lines to draw a triangular dorsal fin on the manta ray's back. Then finish enclosing the tail using another "S" shaped line.
Color Your Manta Ray Drawing
Your manta ray outline is now complete. We've shaded ours gray with a lighter belly. Giant manta rays are often black in color.
For more great sealife drawing tutorials, see the collection of Cute Sealife Drawing Ideas..
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Manta Ray Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).