Learn how to draw a great looking Poinsettia with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Poinsettia.
What is a poinsettia? This plant is a shrub native to Mexico and Central America. Ancient Aztecs used the plant to make red dye and medicines.
In its indigenous climate, poinsettias often grow ten feet tall. The potted varieties sold elsewhere during the holiday season remain much smaller.
Did you know? The brightly colored portion of the poinsettia isn't a flower at all. It is actually a bract, a leaf-like structure located beneath the flower.
The flowers of the poinsettia are the tiny yellow blossoms at the center of the larger red "flower.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
How did a tropical plant come to be associated with the Christmas holiday in colder regions? Legend has it that in the 1500s, a young girl was too poor to afford a gift for the "birthday" of Jesus.
She collected flowering weeds from alongside the road and placed them in front of the church altar. Poinsettia flowers grew from the weeds.
Today, the flower's shape is said to represent the star that led the astrologers to Jesus in Bethlehem, and the red color his shed blood.
Would you like to draw a poinsettia flower? Doing so is easy with the help of this simple, step-by-step drawing guide. All you will need is a pencil, pen, or marker, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to use crayons or colored pencils to shade your finished drawing.
See also, For Beginners: Drawing a Sunflower.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Poinsettia
How to Draw a Great Looking Poinsettia for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a cluster of small circles. The circles may differ in size and be arranged in an irregular pattern. This forms the center of the flower.
Easy Poinsettia Drawing - Step 2
2. Begin to draw petals extending from the flower's center. For each petal, use two curved lines, meeting in a point on each end. The petals may differ in size.
Easy Poinsettia Drawing - Step 3
3. Continue drawing petals, using two curved lines for each, until you complete the circuit around the flower. Don't forget to fill in any gaps with additional petals.
Easy Poinsettia Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw larger petals emerging from behind the original petals. Again, use long, curved lines that meet in a point at the petal's tip.
Easy Poinsettia Drawing - Step 5
5. Continue to draw large petals, overlapping one another and emerging from behind the original ring of petals.
Easy Poinsettia Drawing - Step 6
6. Complete the circuit of large petals, using two curved lines for each. Look for any empty spots among the existing petals, and draw additional petals if necessary.
Easy Poinsettia Drawing - Step 7
7. Add detail to your flower by drawing a vein in each petal. To draw the central vein, extend a slightly curved line from the base of each petal to its tip.
Add More Details to Your Poinsettia Picture - Step 8
8. Begin to draw the poinsettia's jagged leaves. The leaves should be shaped roughly the same as the petals; the difference lies in the use of several short, curved lines, rather than a single line, forming each side. Allow the short lines to meet in points, forming "C" shaped indentations between each point. Complete the leaf by extending a central vein from its base to its tip.
Complete the Outline of Your Poinsettia Drawing - Step 9
9. Continue drawing leaves until they emerge from all sides of the flower. For each leaf, use many short, curved lines that meet in jagged points, and a long line for the central vein.
Color Your Poinsettia Drawing
10. Color your poinsettia. Most poinsettias have red flowers and green leaves. The flowers may also be white, pink, cream, or even blue.
Would you like to try your hand at drawing additional tropical flowers? Check out our wide selection of plant drawing guides.
For more great Flower drawing tutorials, see the 29 Step-by-Step Flower Drawing Guides post.
For more easy flower drawing tutorials, see the collection of Creative Ideas for Flower Drawings.
For all flower drawings, see the Simple Guides to Draw Flowers for Kids page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Poinsettia Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).