Learn how to draw a great looking Puffin with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Puffin.
Puffins are too cute! Add this adorable bird to your sketchbook menagerie when you complete this Puffin drawing tutorial.
Puffins are diving birds that live on islands with cliffs. Their favorite foods are small fish. Their large, colorful beaks have given them nicknames like "bottlenose" and "sea parrot."
Sometimes, puffins are confused with penguins because they share a similar habitat and black and white coloration. But there is one major difference - puffins can fly, and penguins cannot!
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Like puffins, they are small seabirds that live on islands. They even look a bit like puffins without beaks!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Puffin
How to Draw a Great Looking Puffin for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the puffin outline by drawing the bird's eye. Use three curved lines to make the unusual triangular shape. Then shade an oval within the triangle to indicate the pupil.
Easy Puffin Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the cartoon puffin's broad, rounded beak. Outline the beak using three curved lines that meet at a point. Draw a short line at the corner of the mouth and enclose an oval around it.
Easy Puffin Drawing - Step 3
3. Detail the pattern around the puffin's beak. Enclose two crescent moon shapes near the base of the beak, one within the other. Then extend a curved line and double it back upon itself to enclose a smaller curved shape.
Easy Puffin Drawing - Step 4
4. Sketch the face, head, and body. Extend a curved line from the top of the beach to trace the top of the head. Extend two more curved lines from the beak - top and bottom - and allow them to meet at a point, enclosing a relatively round shape around the eye.
Finally, extend one more long line from the bottom of the beak to form the bird's belly.
Easy Puffin Drawing - Step 5
5. At the base of the body, draw a "W" shaped line. This is the top of the puffin's leg. Then, use straight lines to draw its "Y" shaped leg and toes.
Easy Puffin Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a final toe on the first foot. Connect the webbed toes with curved lines. Then, draw a "W" shape for the top of the remaining leg, and begin sketching the foot.
Easy Puffin Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the remaining toes using narrow "V" shaped lines. Connect the toes with curved lines to indicate the webbing between them. Then, use a series of curved lines to form the hip.
Add More Details to Your Puffin Picture - Step 8
8. Extend a long curved line from the back of the head. Use a series of overlapping curved lines that meet at sharp points to finish enclosing the tail.
Complete the Outline of Your Puffin Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your puffin outline by detailing the beak and belly with curved lines.
Color Your Puffin Drawing
Color your cartoon of a puffin. They have black backs with white patches on the belly and face. They also have red, orange, and yellow patterns on their beaks.
For more great bird drawing tutorials, see the collection of How to Draw Birds for Beginners.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Puffin Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).