Learn how to draw a great looking Penguin Chick with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Penguin Chick.
Would you like to learn how to draw a penguin chick? They are cute and easy to draw. This simple, step-by-step wildlife drawing tutorial can show you how.
Penguins are marine or ocean-dwelling birds. They cannot fly through the air, but they are excellent swimmers, appearing to "fly" through the water.
We often think of penguins as living in snowy areas, floating on ice floes or glaciers (like this baby polar bear). But of the 21 penguin species, only a few live in Antarctica. The Galapagos penguin even lives in the tropics!
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
This baby penguin cartoon resembles the real-life hatchlings of the Emperor penguin, found in Antarctica.
You may have seen real-life footage of baby emperor penguins in the documentary March of the Penguins. Or, you may recognize them from cartoons such as Happy Feet or The Pebble and the Penguin.
If you like this penguin chick outline, draw a whole colony of penguins! You can learn how to draw an adult penguin here.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Penguin Chick
How to Draw a Great Looking Penguin Chick for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the penguin chick outline by drawing its eyes. Draw two ovals with smaller ovals inside them. Shade between the shapes in each set. Notice that one eye is much narrower than the other.
Easy Penguin Chick Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, sketch the head of the cartoon baby penguin. Use a squiggly line to outline the fuzzy head.
At the base of the head, draw a series of short lines. Use a curved, rounded triangle for the beak. Use a curved line to enclose the lower portion of the beak. Then, contour around the base of the beak with short lines.
Easy Penguin Chick Drawing - Step 3
3. Detail the baby bird's face. Use zigzag lines and a series of short lines to encircle the eyes and beak.
Easy Penguin Chick Drawing - Step 4
4. Use overlapping squiggly lines to draw the penguin's body - one line for the chest and another for the abdomen. Draw short lines at the end of each line.
Easy Penguin Chick Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the baby penguin's back, again using a long squiggly line.
Easy Penguin Chick Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the flipper or wing. Use a long curved line for the front or leading edge of the wing, and a squiggly line for the back. Draw a series of short lines where the wing meets the body.
Easy Penguin Chick Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the remaining wing. Again, use a curved line and a squiggly line.
Add More Details to Your Penguin Chick Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the penguin's feet. Use overlapping curved lines to sketch the toes. Enclose a rounded triangle at the tip of each toe to indicate the toenails or claws. Contour the tops of the toes with short lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Penguin Chick Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your penguin chick outline by texturing its fluffy body. Use groupings of several short lines.
Color Your Penguin Chick Drawing
Color your cartoon of a baby penguin. We've shaded ours gray, black, and white, just like a real-life emperor penguin.
For more great bird drawing tutorials, see the collection of How to Draw Birds Step-by-Step Drawings.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Penguin Chick Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).