Learn how to draw a great looking Rat with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Rat.
What do you think of when you see a rat? A frightful pest? A science experiment? Or a cute pet? Whatever your opinion of these persistent rodents, you can learn how to draw a rat with the help of this easy, step-by-step drawing guide.
Rats live all over the world. In fact, the pesky pests have an intimate relationship with humans. Wherever we go, they go, too, in order to eat our food stores and garbage.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In the wild, rats live in all types of environments, from open grasslands to forests. But they feel just as at home in big cities, as in this New York City skyline drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Rat
How to Draw a Great Looking Rat for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the cartoon rat outline by drawing a curved line. This is the front of the face. Double the line back upon itself at one end, forming the teardrop-shaped nose. Below the line, draw an oval with two small circles inside it. Shade around the circles to form the eye.
Easy Rat Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a curved line below the nose, and another one overlapping it. This forms the rat’s mouth. Draw short lines to contour the jaws and base of the head.
Easy Rat Drawing - Step 3
3. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the rat’s ears. Enclose more curved lines inside the nearest ear to contour inside it. Continue the line of the neck.
Easy Rat Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the rat’s leg. Use curved lines that meet at jagged points to give the limb a furry appearance. Notice the overlapping lines of the toes as the sharply pointed claws.
Easy Rat Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the rat’s remaining foreleg, again using overlapping curved lines. Then, use a long curved line for the animal’s belly.
Easy Rat Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a long curved line from the ear, forming the rat’s back and rump.
Easy Rat Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a “C” shaped line to form the hip of the rat’s rear leg. Use short curved lines that meet at jagged points to give the bottom of the leg a furry appearance.
Add More Details to Your Rat Picture - Step 8
8. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to draw the rat’s rear foot and toes. Notice how the toes are pointed to indicate claws.
Complete the Outline of Your Rat Drawing - Step 9
9. From the rump, extend two long, curved, loosely parallel lines. This is the rat’s tail. Allow the lines to meet at a sharp point, and texture it with short curved lines.
Color Your Rat Drawing
Your cartoon rat outline is now complete. Color your drawing. Rats come in a range of colors. Their fur can be white, black, brown, gray, or some combination of these colors. The hairless skin of the tail, paws, and inner ears is often pink or peach.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Rat Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).