Create a wonderful Road drawing with easy, step-by-step instructions and video tutorial. Great for kids and beginner artists!
“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Are you ready for a Sunday drive? You can learn how to draw a road then plan your next big road trip.
Roads of various types have been around for millennia. The earliest man-made roads began as game trails - paths used by animals. People used and enlarged these, altering them to suit their needs.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In ancient times, the earliest known paved roads were created in Egypt. Later, Rome was famous for its roads. Some of these, nearly 2,000 years old, are still intact today.
The first lined roads were constructed in the United Kingdom in 1918. Today, these safety markings are common throughout the world.
Get ready to draw your own roads. And if you like the Looney Tunes, don't fall into the Road Runner's trap - painted lines that lead to the edge of the cliff!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Road
1. Begin by drawing a long, curved line to form the first hill of the contoured landscape.
2. Draw another long curved line, forming another hill. Notice how the top of the first hill and the bottom of the second converge.
3. Draw another long curved line to form the third hill.
4. Begin drawing the road as it crosses the first hill. Draw a pair of widely spaced parallel curved lines. These are the sides of the road. Then, draw curved rectangles between them to indicate the lines in the center of the road.
5. Draw the next section of the road on the second hill. Outline the sides of the road with curved lines. Then, draw several curved rectangles down its center.
6. Draw the third section of road traversing the third hill. Again, outline the sides of the road using parallel curved lines. This segment is far enough away, however, that you won't be drawing rectangles. Instead, draw a series of short lines down the center of the road.
7. Next, draw a tree alongside the road. Use pairs of curved lines to outline the roots, trunk, and branches of the tree. Notice how some of the lines overlap.
8. Draw the tree's leafy crown. Use a series of short curved lines to outline the cloudlike boughs. Then, draw a series of short curved lines just above the tree's branches.
9. Draw additional trees and shrubbery, erasing as necessary. Use a series of curved lines to outline a round shape at the top of the second hill, forming a tree or shrub. Then, draw a tree on the distant hill. Extend a pair of curved lines for the trunk, and use a series of curved lines to outline the round bough.
Color your cartoon of a landscape with a road. Learn how to draw a car so you can take a drive through this peaceful scene.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).