Learn how to draw a great looking Lightning McQueen with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Lightning McQueen.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
- Lightning McQueen, Disney's Cars (2006)
When we first meet Lightning McQueen, he is a proud and self-assured race-car who believes he is destined for greatness. When he spends some time in the sleepy town of Radiator Springs, however, Lightning learns to care about others besides himself.
Lightning meets Mater, a rusty tow truck who eventually becomes his best friend. He discovers that he can learn from others, such as the older race car Doc Hudson. During the film's sequels, Lightning internalizes even more life lessons and teaches others.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
This anthropomorphic race car has become one of Disney's most popular characters. He's made appearances in four films, several video games, and numerous toys and memorabilia, especially diecast model cars. He's even been immortalized in artwork, including an ice sculpture.
Would you like to draw the enigmatic Lightning McQueen? This easy, step-by-step Disney character drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, pen, marker, or crayon and a sheet of paper.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: School Bus, Tractor, and Monster Truck.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Lightning McQueen
How to Draw a Great Looking Lightning McQueen for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a rounded rectangle. This will form Lightning McQueen's windshield - which also serves as his eyes. Draw a curved line parallel to the top of the windshield, and another across the middle, indicating the eyelids.
Easy Lightning McQueen Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend a curved line from each side of the windshield to form the top of the car. Allow the lines to meet at a point.
Easy Lightning McQueen Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a curved line to enclose a small figure on top of the car, and another to connect the bottom of the windshield to the back of the car's top. This latter line encloses the car's side windows.
Easy Lightning McQueen Drawing - Step 4
4. Enclose a rounded rectangle and triangle within the teardrop shape of the side window area. These are the individual windows.
Easy Lightning McQueen Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw curved lines from the bottom corners of the windshield, outlining the hood. Draw another from the back of the roof, outlining the fender.
Easy Lightning McQueen Drawing - Step 6
6. Enclose a rounded rectangular shape spanning the back of the car. Draw a curved line parallel to one side of it. This is the spoiler or tail fin.
Easy Lightning McQueen Drawing - Step 7
7. Detail the front of the car. Use a curved line to enclose the front of the hexagonal hood. Draw lines and small circles along the edges of the hood. Enclose rounded parallelograms just past the front of the hood, forming the headlights - which are, in Lightning's case, just stickers. Draw lines across each headlight. Use curved lines to outline the front wheel well and the open, smiling mouth.
Add More Details to Your Lightning McQueen Picture - Step 8
8. Use a long, curved line to enclose the bottom of the car, noting the large "C" shaped indentations that are the wheel wells. In each wheel well, draw three successively smaller circular shapes. Texture the outer circle - the tire - with curved lines. Draw more circular shapes between the two smaller circles, forming the wheel and hubcap.
Complete the Outline of Your Lightning McQueen Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw Lightning's eyes, each a shaded circle within a slightly larger circle. Then, detail his paint job. Draw a circle on the hood, write the word "Rusteze" across it, and underline the word. Enclose a curved shape on the roof and write and underline "Rusteze" on the spoiler. Sketch the number "95" on the side and use a series of connected curved lines to form the flames.
Color Your Lightning McQueen Drawing
Color Lightning McQueen. He usually wears a red paint job with yellow and orange accents. At times, he's been seen in yellow, white, green, or Dinoco blue.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Lightning McQueen Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).