Learn how to draw a great looking Sad Cat with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Sad Cat.
Everyone feels sad once in a while. Sometimes, it feels like you'll be sad forever, but learning how to draw a sad cat might help you process your feelings.
This cartoon sad cat could be sad for a number of reasons. Maybe they miss their owners who went on vacation, or maybe it's raining and they can't go outside and play.
Come up with your own stories as you draw this cat.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
While you can use any color for your cat, this guide recommends grey because it's a universal symbol of sadness.
Gray makes you think of rainy clouds and quiet evenings where nothing's going on. After you complete this cartoon, you could draw a happy cat to make yourself feel better.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Sad Cat
How to Draw a Great Looking Sad Cat for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Start with two loops, then draw flatter curves underneath the loops to make semi-ovals. Sketch ovals inside these shapes, and fill them in. Add a dash above each eye.
Learn how to draw tears if you want to make your cat even sadder.
Easy Sad Cat Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a curve above the eyes, then make a small, oblong shape that looks like a kidney bean. Add two V shapes underneath, and connect them to the nose with a straight line. Sketch a curve beneath the mouth.
Easy Sad Cat Drawing - Step 3
3. For the left ear, start with a wavy line and curve it downward. Start with a diagonal line, add a tuft of fur and make a curved line in the opposite direction. Repeat this process for the right side of the face.
Easy Sad Cat Drawing - Step 4
4. Repeat the previous step for the right ear, then sketch overlapping curves to make the ears look folded over. Scribble a tuft of fur on the forehead.
Easy Sad Cat Drawing - Step 5
5. Use loose, sketchy lines with curves and points to draw the fur around the neck. Sketch another triangle on your cartoon sad cat's forehead.
Easy Sad Cat Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a curve to the left, then a curve pointing in the opposite direction on the right. Sketch a vertical line that ends in a hook.
Easy Sad Cat Drawing - Step 7
7. Sketch a round curve like you're going to make a circle. Use sketchy lines for the fur, then curl the line inward like a swirl.
Add More Details to Your Sad Cat Picture - Step 8
8. Add more sketchy lines on the tail and body, then draw overlapping loops to outline the toes.
Complete the Outline of Your Sad Cat Drawing - Step 9
9. For the right leg, start with a hook, add overlapping toes and connect the leg to the body with a straight line.
Color Your Sad Cat Drawing
Outline your drawing in black, then erase the pencil lines. Congratulations! You've drawn your very own cartoon sad cat.
To set the mood, color the outline with dreary shades of gray. Use darker shades for the body and lighter shades for the paw, chest, face and tip of the tail. Add muted pink for the nose and ears.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Sad Cat Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).