Learn how to draw a great looking Simple Cat with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Simple Cat.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
The house cat or domestic cat is a common sight around the world. The housecat is the smallest member of the cat family.
They make great pets, but remain independent enough to survive on their own. Once-domesticated cats living in the wild are known as feral cats.
Cats were first domesticated thousands of years ago. Mummified cats and carvings of cats have been discovered in the tombs of ancient Egypt.
Did you know? A group of cats is called a clowder or glaring.
Cats may be small, but they are mighty hunters.
On one small island near New Zealand, the first European settler brought a house cat with him. The cat caught a bird, which he sent to a scientific organization for identification.
By the time they wrote back requesting more specimens as they believed it to be a new species, the cat had eradicated the wrens from the island! A single cat hunted this bird to extinction.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
You can learn to draw a simple kitty cat. It's easy! Sharpen your pencils and grab an eraser.
Then, follow the step-by-step instructions in this cartoon animal drawing tutorial. You'll use simple shapes to create your meow-sterpiece!
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Cartoon Cat, Simple Dog, and Cartoon Dog.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cute Cat
How to Draw a Great Looking Simple Cat for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a curved line. This will become the top of the cat’s head.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw another curved line to enclose a lemon shape, gently pointed on each end. This completes the outline of the head.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 3
3. Use two curved lines to enclose the first of the gently pointed, triangular ears.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the second ear, using two curved lines to enclose the triangular shape.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a smaller triangle within each ear.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a straight, horizontal line a distance below the cat’s head.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a pair of curved lines between the head and the straight line, enclosing the feline’s body.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 8
8. From the body, extend an “S” shaped curved line, beginning the outline of the tail.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a second curved line parallel to the previous. Connect them to enclose the tail.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 10
10. Use a straight line and a curved line to enclose a half-circle shape. This is the first of the cat’s feet.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 11
11. Use a curved line to enclose a half-circle shape within the outline of the body, forming another foot.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 12
12. Use curved lines to outline rounded shapes above the feet. These are the cat’s rear legs.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 13
13. Draw another half-circle overlapping the bottom of the body, forming another paw.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 14
14. Draw another half-circle paw overlapping the bottom of the body.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 15
15. Draw three curved lines from the neck to the paws, outlining the front legs.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 16
16. Erase overlapping lines as necessary.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 17
17. Draw curved lines across the paws, indicating the toes.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 18
18. Draw a wide “U” shaped line across the face, with short lines at the corners. Above it, shade a small inverted triangle to form the nose. Connect the nose and mouth with a straight vertical line.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 19
19. Draw long, curved lines from each side of the nose to form the whiskers. Shade two small ovals to indicate the eyes, with thick curved lines for eyebrows above it.
Easy Simple Cat Drawing - Step 20
20. Color your cartoon kitty cat. We’ve chosen a cream color for our kitten, but cats come in many colors. Black, white, grey, orange, striped, or spotted - the choice is yours.
Once you've mastered the simple cat, try your hand at drawing a simple dog.
For more great Cat drawing tutorials, see the 25 Easy and Fun Cat Drawing Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Simple Cat Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).