Learn how to draw a great looking Tomato with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Tomato.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
The tomato is a staple food in many parts of the world today. But until a few hundred years ago, this was not the case.
The wild tomato is native to the South American countries of Ecuador and Peru. It was domesticated before Europeans "discovered" the new world, and was brought back to Europe during the 1600s.
Did you know? Many people were once afraid to eat the tomato because they feared it was poisonous. Why? Because it resembles a related plant called deadly nightshade. Indeed, the leaves and stem of the plant do contain toxins, but the fruit is very healthy to eat.
Is the tomato a vegetable or a fruit? This question is often debated. The answer is, it is both. Botanically speaking, it is a fruit.
It is a fleshy part of the plant that grows from a flower and houses seeds. However, the tomato is labeled as a vegetable in a nutritional and culinary sense. Tomatoes are rich in vital nutrients, and they are served in savory rather than sweet dishes.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Tomatoes are often seen in popular culture. In cartoons and film, tomatoes may be thrown at a speaker or performer to indicate a displeasing performance.
In 1978, a "musical horror comedy" film was released entitled Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. You guessed it - the villains were man-eating vegetables in a silly role reversal.
Today, the popular Shopkins line of collectible children's toys features several tomato-themed characters, including Papa Tomato, Roma Tomato, and Cherie Tomato.
Would you like to draw a fresh, juicy tomato? This simple, step-by-step drawing guide is here to help. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Pineapple, Apple, and Pumpkin.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Tomato
How to Draw a Great Looking Tomato for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle to outline the basic shape of the tomato.
Easy Tomato Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw two overlapping curved lines at the top of the tomato, inside the circle. These lines help define the shape of the tomato.
Easy Tomato Drawing - Step 3
3. Erase the guide line at the top of the circle.
Easy Tomato Drawing - Step 4
4. Sketch in the tomato's stem. Just above the tomato, draw a pair of short, curved lines. Connect them at the top.
Easy Tomato Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a series curved lines to form a star shape around the stem. The lines should meet in gentle points. This is the leafy part of the fruit, called a sepal, left over from the flower that formed it.
Easy Tomato Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase guide lines from the sepal.
Easy Tomato Drawing - Step 7
7. Add depth to the stem and sepal by drawing a curved line beneath the stem. Then, begin to give the tomato a face. Start with the eyebrows, using two curved lines for each. The lines should meet in points on each side.
Add More Details to Your Tomato Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the eyes. For each eye, draw a small circle. Within the circle, draw a small oval. Shade between the two shapes.
Complete the Outline of Your Tomato Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the tomato's smiling mouth. First, draw a "U" shaped line. Connect the sides of the "U" using another curved line, and detail the mouth with short, curved lines at each corner. Draw another curved line across the bottom of the "U" to outline the tongue.
Color Your Tomato Drawing
10. Color your tomato. Did you know? Drawings of tomatoes are most often shaded red, but tomatoes can come in a wide range of colors. Common hues include green, orange, yellow, and pink. They may also be spotted or striped in combinations of these colors. In 2016, a bluish-black tomato was named the best-tasting tomato in the world. Its flavor came from the same nutrients that color blueberries blue.
For more great Food drawing tutorials, see the 51 Food Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Tomato Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).