Learn how to draw a great looking Triceratops with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Triceratops.
Dinosaurs are some of the most fearsome creatures that ever walked the earth. They went extinct millions of years ago, but the fossil record gives us an idea of how they lived.
Since birds evolved from dinosaurs, dinosaurs are technically not extinct. However, you won't find triceratops walking around your neighborhood any time soon.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
While we don't know exactly how the triceratops lived, scientists believe that it was a plant-eating dinosaur that lived in small groups.
The triceratops might have lived near the T-rex, which is the most famous dinosaur in popular culture.
Since the T-rex was a predator, these dinosaurs probably weren't friends--but you can imagine otherwise when you draw your cartoon triceratops.
To draw your triceratops, start with a pencil outline, then complete the drawing with a black pen or marker to make it easier to color in. Afterward, you can draw a background with plants, trees and rivers.
Imagine what it would have been like to live during this time. Would you be afraid of the triceratops, or would you try to make friends with it?
Maybe your pet triceratops could protect you and sleep in your cave.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Triceratops
How to Draw a Great Looking Triceratops for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Start with a curved triangle on the left side of the page. Add an elongated S-shape on top and a short curve on the bottom.
For the eye, sketch a curved line pointing downward, draw a larger curve underneath and connect the shape with a straight line. Draw a circle inside the eye, and add curves around the eye for depth.
Easy Triceratops Drawing - Step 2
2. Make a large curved triangle shape for the top horn. Underneath the front horn, draw another large triangle pointing downward, then draw a curve for the lower jaw.
Add more curved lines to complete the beak. Sketch a circle for the nostril, and draw two more curves on the face.
Easy Triceratops Drawing - Step 3
3. For the left horn, draw an elongated triangle like a tentacle. Add lines inside the horns and curves underneath.
Start a tall heart shape above the head, and draw round triangles on top and behind this shape like gumdrops.
Easy Triceratops Drawing - Step 4
4. Loosely complete the heart shape, and add more gumdrops. Sketch two large hooks inside the shape.
Easy Triceratops Drawing - Step 5
5. Start the right leg with an arrow pointing to the right, then draw a parallel arrow. Use two curves for the underside of the body. Sketch a few more curved lines around the head.
Easy Triceratops Drawing - Step 6
6. Make three ovals like Easter eggs for the toes. Use loose, uneven lines to draw the back leg, then add a V-shape above the first line to give the leg a rounded shape like a chicken drumstick.
Easy Triceratops Drawing - Step 7
7. Use round triangle shapes for the toes on the back leg. Start the front left leg with an uneven line.
Add More Details to Your Triceratops Picture - Step 8
8. Draw three more Easter egg shapes for the toes, then complete the leg with a curved line that connects to the body. Draw an angular line pointing to the right to start the last leg.
Complete the Outline of Your Triceratops Drawing - Step 9
9. For the back, make a swooping curve that ends in a loose point for the tail, then drop it into a deep curve that connects to the body. Complete the last leg with three overlapping toes and a few short lines.
Color Your Triceratops Drawing
Complete your cartoon triceratops by outlining the entire drawing with a black pen or marker. Erase the loose pencil lines.
For a realistic drawing, color your cartoon triceratops with light green. Use darker green for the shadows and off-white for the horns, toes and beak.
Add lighter green for the highlights to show the sunlight shining off the dinosaur's skin.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Triceratops Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).