Learn how to draw a great looking Whale Shark with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Whale Shark.
You can learn how to draw a whale shark with this easy, step-by-step animal drawing tutorial.
Whale sharks are big. In fact, they are the largest fish in the sea. Whale sharks are as long as a bus.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Do you need a really big piece of paper? Actually, you can draw this whale shark on any size of paper. Don't forget your blue and gray crayons, colored pencils, or markers to shade the cartoon fish and its watery home.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Whale Shark
How to Draw a Great Looking Whale Shark for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Start with a long curved line that doubles back on itself. Outlines the whale shark's head.
Easy Whale Shark Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw another curved line in line with the top of the first one, but notice that the two lines don't touch. Use another curved line to enclose a rounded triangle on top of them. This is the shark's dorsal fin. Enclose another small rounded triangle further down the line of the shark's back.
Easy Whale Shark Drawing - Step 3
3. Use two straight lines and one curved line to enclose each of the shark's rounded triangular eyes. Inside each triangle, draw a partial circle with a smaller circle inside it. Shade between them to indicate the pupils of the eyes.
Easy Whale Shark Drawing - Step 4
4. Use curved lines to outline the whale shark's large, open mouth.
Did you know? Whale sharks are filter feeders - they suck in water and eat the tiniest creatures that live in it.
Easy Whale Shark Drawing - Step 5
5. Use curved lines to trace each of the whale shark's triangular pectoral fins.
Easy Whale Shark Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw two curved lines at the side of the whale shark's face, behind its eye. These are the gills, slits that the shark uses to breathe water. Then, use a series of curved lines to draw the shark's belly, tail, and the small fins along it.
Easy Whale Shark Drawing - Step 7
7. Use curved lines to enclose the triangle shape of the shark's tail fin.
Add More Details to Your Whale Shark Picture - Step 8
8. Begin drawing small circles in straight lines along the shark's side and tail. These are its characteristic spots.
Did you know? A whale shark's spots are like your fingerprints. Each individual's spots are unique and can be used to identify him or her.
Complete the Outline of Your Whale Shark Drawing - Step 9
9. Finish drawing the small spots along the whale shark's head and fin.
Color Your Whale Shark Drawing
Your cartoon whale shark outline is now complete. Color your whale shark gray or dark blue, leaving the spots white. Whale sharks are typically darker on top with lighter-colored bellies.
For more great sealife drawing tutorials, see the collection of Easy Sealife Drawing Guides.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Whale Shark Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).