Learn how to draw a great looking Windmill with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Windmill.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Whether you're studying geography or illustrating a children's book, you can hone your skills and learn how to draw a windmill.
Windmills are structures that convert wind into energy. Today, they are often skinny white towers with turbines that produce electricity, but in the past, many ground grain to make flour. Others pumped water from wells.
The European country of Holland is famous for its windmills. Iconic photographs of the country show historic windmills like the one in this drawing guide surrounded by fields of colorful tulips.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Windmill-shaped cookies originate from this same part of Europe and windmills appear on the packaging of many regional products.
Perhaps the most famous of windmills appeared between the pages of Don Quixote, a classic novel of the 1600s. It follows the story of an aging knight who sets out on horseback in search of adventure.
In a climactic scene, Quixote faces down what he believes to be a giant - but in reality, it is just a windmill.
What should you draw today? The answer is blowing in the wind. Grab you pencil and paper, and let's get started.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Farm, Barn, and Fall Scenery.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Windmill
How to Draw a Great Looking Windmill for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the central hub and the "X" shaped sail stocks of the windmill. First, draw a small circle. Extend a pair of straight, parallel lines from it at a diagonal angle. Connect them at the end. Then, repeat this process until you have drawn four sail stocks.
Easy Windmill Drawing - Step 2
2. Begin drawing the supports of each sail. From the sail stock, extend four straight lines. Double them back upon themselves to reconnect to the stock.
Easy Windmill Drawing - Step 3
3. Continue to draw the supports of each sail. Again, from each sail stock, extend four straight lines. Double them back upon themselves to reconnect to the stock.
Easy Windmill Drawing - Step 4
4. Finish drawing the final sail supports. Then draw curved lines from one support to another on each sail. This outlines the sail whips or the trailing edges of the sails.
Easy Windmill Drawing - Step 5
5. Begin drawing the windmill behind the sails. Use curved lines to outline a curved triangular shape, partially hidden behind the sails. Then, draw a curved line parallel to the bottom of the triangle and connect them on each end. Finally, extend two curved lines downward from the corners of the triangle.
Easy Windmill Drawing - Step 6
6. Complete the outline of the windmill tower. Extend two more curved lines downward from the base of the triangular roof. Then, connect the lines with straight lines. Below this, use five straight lines to enclose a geometric shape, outlining the foundation of the windmill.
Easy Windmill Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a door at the base of the windmill. Use an inverted "U" shaped line. Then, draw a small oval for the door handle and vertical lines to indicate the wooden boards.
Add More Details to Your Windmill Picture - Step 8
8. Draw windows on the tower of the windmill. First, use short lines to outline rectangle shapes. These form the lower window sills. Then, above each sill, outline the window using an inverted "U" shaped line.
Complete the Outline of Your Windmill Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw straight lines parallel to the top of the windmill's foundation. From each corner, extend a straight line to the bottom. Then, outline square and rectangle shapes with rounded corners to indicate the texture of bricks.
Color Your Windmill Drawing
Color your cartoon windmill. European windmills are often brown and cream in color. They may have portions made of red brick or grey stone.
For more great Building drawing tutorials, see the 21 Building Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Windmill Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).